Amp voltage output...

Alright so just for temporary use. I turned my gain down and set the bass boost up to about 3+ which gave me the 31v I needed. Is there anything in particular why I shouldn’t do this? Only reason I did this is because I really don’t want to turn my gain all the way up, which is why I think my amp heats up a lot.

Alright so just for temporary use. I turned my gain down and set the bass boost up to about 3+ which gave me the 31v I needed. Is there anything in particular why I shouldn’t do this? Only reason I did this is because I really don’t want to turn my gain all the way up, which is why I think my amp heats up a lot.
Set the sub level all the way up, your headunit puts out too weak of a signal if you don't. Bass boost is just adding unneeded distortion which is how you blow up equipment. Don't ever use bass boost.

There's your problem. The amp isn't getting a strong enough signal. Sub level should be up all the way and then like you said, you will get the 31v you need. And get rid of that 6a and get some 4ga oxygen free copper wire.
Setting maxed sub level should be on just OP's HU or everyone's HU?

Hmmm. So if I am setting sub by ear on a pioneer NEX, I set Sub Level at max (level 15), Nex vol @70-80% then mess with gain/amp?
Dont set the gain by ear, use a dmm, at the minimum get one of the free Harbor Freight multimeters, there are always free coupons in your local mailings. It works well enough to get you in the ballpark.

Dont set the gain by ear, use a dmm, at the minimum get one of the free Harbor Freight multimeters, there are always free coupons in your local mailings. It works well enough to get you in the ballpark.
I've got a dmm, just read a lot of yay and nay for setting amp with one.

Thx, I'll read up on setting it up. Just wanted clarification on HU Sub level.

Hey guys so I returned my headunit and exchanged it for a pioneer AVH-1330NEX which just came out a couple months ago so it’s packed with features, it’s also 4volts preamp with a left and right sub rca output. This is all in all better! I’m acually able to reach the 31 volts now that I needed! Amp still gets pretty hot but then I live in New Mexico so I guess it’s normal. it hasn’t shut down on me yet. Btw when I’m just getting a feel for the temp of the amp do I feel the sides or the surface? I ask because someone at Best buy told me that the surface typically gets hot but as long as the sides doesn’t which is where the thermal coolers are then it should be okay

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.