Amp Turn on lead question

Participant count
  • Participant list

demarcom

NJ
Hey guys, I have a Clarion cx501 that has the amp turn on lead going to a 5v resister to turn on my Ford Shaker 500 amps (takes 5v and not 12v). works great.... now I am putting in a separate amp for a trunk sub.

The question is can I tap into that same amp turn on line PRIOR to the 5v resister and get both amps to turn on correctly? I was going to use the antenna turn on lead, but I hear that will only power things when using the radio which is not good...

Please take a picture of your current setup. There is no such thing as a 5v resistor, by the way. Resistors are measured in ohms and it does not make sense for it to be a 5 ohm resistor because that would basically be doing nothing. Depending on how things are currently set up, putting another amp's turn-on in parallel may or may not change the amount of voltage that the Shaker amp turn-ons see. Please get a detailed picture of whatever component you have for the Shaker's turn-on, or if it has a part number, please provide that + manufacturer.

That is one way to do it. Keep in mind that a relay 100% absolutely MUST have a quenching diode installed. A transistor would be a better solution; a relay is not needed at all, generally.

A voltage regulator would be another way to do it. Hell, even a zener diode in series with a resistor where the Shaker is in parallel with the zener and the other amp is in parallel with both would work.

There are several ways it COULD work. But first we need to know what he already has. Unless he wants to just discard it and do it a different way.

Sorry guys, it's not a resistor, it's a 5v DC fixed voltage regulator. like this +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805 - RadioShack.com

. the amp turn on lead is wired to the high voltage side and the amp side is wired to the 5v fixed side. the middle prong is put to ground. What I would like to do if possible is simply T-tap into that amp turn on lead on the high voltage (12v) side so I can send a signal to the new amp in the trunk. Does that make things clearer?

Sorry guys, it's not a resistor, it's a 5v DC fixed voltage regulator. like this +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805 - RadioShack.com. the amp turn on lead is wired to the high voltage side and the amp side is wired to the 5v fixed side. the middle prong is put to ground. What I would like to do if possible is simply T-tap into that amp turn on lead on the high voltage (12v) side so I can send a signal to the new amp in the trunk. Does that make things clearer?
Yes, it will work just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.