Amp Tuning! Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Winter_C
10+ year member

Teh Pinto Driver
Ok, so i got my meter, set it at ACV 200 right? put + in + output on amp and - on - terminal on amp? set my HU, and put on 45hz test tone like tutorial said....and i begain to adjust gain, and i am up in like 50-60 volt area? and the tutorial said

Voltage of the output = sqrt(RMS Power X impedance of the speaker)

I have a KX1200.1 which does 1200 RMS at 1 ohm, 600 RMS at 2 ohm, and 300 RMS at 4 ohm

My subs are 12" p3's which are 500 RMS and impedance is dual 4 ohm

This is where i am confused...that formula would be voltage= SQRT(30084ohm) for 4 ohm right? which is 34.64...

And if i did 1 ohm it would be? Voltage= SQRT(1200*1)? which is 34.64

And if 69.28 is right, Which I am sure that is the outcome of that, my amp with gain maxed out is only like ~61 volts...And when doing this, the RMS on my subs are 500 each, so do i do 1k? making it be Voltage=SQRT(1000*1) which is only like 31.62 and that means my gain knob would be turned down less than it would be at 4 ohms? and 31 volts on my amp is like 1/4 turn....that doesnt make any sense to me, and from like 5/8 to max, my voltage is like 60ish...is that right?

if your using a multi meter its a waste of time it will not b right. just set it by ear go 3/4 on your deck and go from there. no bass boost on your amp or level boost on your deck. i would allso look at your voltage lets say your seting it the way u want and u get it sounding fine but your getin nasty volt drops its gona **** . just do it by ear and use your meter on your battery to see if your above 13.0 volts

Gah...I had people tell me that that is the wrong way to do it and i need to use a meter...FML...The whole point to this is, nothing sounds right in my truck and its starting to piss me off, I have tried two JL W10's in a "High-output Wedge box" from a buddy, and compared to my P3's and the 10's aint far off which is sad....and I am trying to figure out why it is sounding so bad, that or i am just deaf and think it isnt loud when it is...but i dont think that this is the case

Gah...I had people tell me that that is the wrong way to do it and i need to use a meter...FML...The whole point to this is, nothing sounds right in my truck and its starting to piss me off, I have tried two JL W10's in a "High-output Wedge box" from a buddy, and compared to my P3's and the 10's aint far off which is sad....and I am trying to figure out why it is sounding so bad, that or i am just deaf and think it isnt loud when it is...but i dont think that this is the case
i would look into some new subs and a nice box bro.

I know right? I am going to try to dump these P3's and pick up some R 12's...will keep the same amps, cuz I got hella deals on them, and they are pretty nice....but this box was designed by Supergumby5000, and looking at his builds and such, I dont think he would design me a bad box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.