AMP suggestions - sep'r8 real from hype -

Techspert
10+ year member

I was told by an installer shop that McIntosh amps are top of the line and extremely clean; however, they also mentioned that McIntosh overrates their power ratings and will not give you the kick or dynamics of amps such as JL or the new MB Quarts-type amps.

Is there any truth to this?

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a McIntosh MC4000M 6-channel locally that produces 4x100 and 2x300 watts. I'm gonna do MB Quarts components and 1 13"JL W7 ported, OR 2 JL W6's in a sealed enclosure in an '02 Range Rover. I'm hoping the McIntosh will be appropriate and a perfect mate for this setup.

They're suggesting that their in-house JL 450.5 and JL 1000.1 would be a better match.

I'm not worried about the money spent of the McIntosh in comparison to the JL stuff, but I do want the best sound.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated.

Thanx.

I was told by an installer shop that McIntosh amps are top of the line and extremely clean; however, they also mentioned that McIntosh overrates their power ratings and will not give you the kick or dynamics of amps such as JL or the new MB Quarts-type amps.
Is there any truth to this?

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a McIntosh MC4000M 6-channel locally that produces 4x100 and 2x300 watts. I'm gonna do MB Quarts components and 1 13"JL W7 ported, OR 2 JL W6's in a sealed enclosure in an '02 Range Rover. I'm hoping the McIntosh will be appropriate and a perfect mate for this setup.

They're suggesting that their in-house JL 450.5 and JL 1000.1 would be a better match.

I'm not worried about the money spent of the McIntosh in comparison to the JL stuff, but I do want the best sound.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated.

Thanx.
it is NOT powerful enough to push a 13w7 OR 12W7 OR 10 W7

it is NOT powerful enough to push a 13w7 OR 12W7 OR 10 W7

Not enough???

It has 4x100 for highs and 2x300 for the subs...are you sure?

I would think the 2x300 could be bridged or something to get at least double the power.

pls don't spend that kinda money on an amp and have it not be stable....

u need at least 500 watts for the 10

need 750 at least for the 12

and need at least 1k for the 13

invest in something else........ go w/differne tsubs if u have to

mtx9512

pls don't spend that kinda money on an amp and have it not be stable....
u need at least 500 watts for the 10

need 750 at least for the 12

and need at least 1k for the 13

invest in something else........ go w/differne tsubs if u have to

mtx9512

The MC4000m is stable down to 2-ohms. I would consider trying another sub type of the w7 requirements were a little too high. The requirements on the w6's should be in my ballpark.

i disagree...usually when u bridge an amp the min ohm load is 4ohms
True. And usually a sub (or any speaker for that matter) will not present its nominal impedance in a real world application. It will be something higher and will vary depending on frequency and enclosure.

I agree that there is no reason in the world to spend that much on that amp, stable or not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.