Amp suggestion for Kicker L7 15"

jzone

My brother is giving me this sub: Kicker Solo-Baric L7 15-Inch 4-Ohm DVC Subwoofer. 1000 Watts RMS. But I need an amp, I'm new at this so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm tight on money, so I don't want to spend more than 300. Any help would be appreciated!

MB Quart ONX1.1500D
MB QUART ONX1.1500D 1500W Mono D Amplifier : ONX11500D : $197.95 : VMInnovations.com

Puts out 1000 watts @ 2 ohms which would work well with your sub. And amp is $197 with free shipping, less with coupon codes.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that one... So the sub would have to be wired to 2 ohms right? Sorry if I'm wrong, I've been trying to educate myself since I found out I getting the sub 2 days ago lol, and it's been a little overwhelming. Especially with soo many brands, not knowing what's good/bad. I also want to do the installation myself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

as far as amp a wall socket will do just fine...

that said, when you go to install it take your time and dont get in a rush. also if you dont have a digital multi meter, go buy one. it will be your best friend.

and btw that mb amp will actually do more along the lines of 750 at 2 ohms.

You know which generation of L7 it is? Post a pic

That Onyx amp above is too much for it. The 1st/2nd gen L7s(black cone and the non-shiny silver/pewter cone) won't take more than 700 watts for too long as it has the tendency to rip the tinsel leads. I blew my 2nd-gen L7 with a HiFonics Brutus 1606D at about 3/4 volume - tinsel leads came off from the cone. The 3rd gen(shiny silver cone) I don't know but I know the same shiny coned L5 will also rip the tinsel leads(I had one and blew it with the same brutus 1606D). The latest-gen L7(black cone with small white L7 letter in the middle) is the one you want as it is redesigned and don't have any problems.

The latest-gen L7 looks like this and this is the one you want

NEW KICKER S15L7 15" L7 SUB CAR AUDIO 2000W SUBWOOFER | eBay

If you have the latest-gen L7 then bring on the Onyx, otherwise pick something that's just 2 ohm stable and makes 500~600 watts and call it safe and happy.

You know which generation of L7 it is? Post a pic

That Onyx amp above is too much for it. The 1st/2nd gen L7s(black cone and the non-shiny silver/pewter cone) won't take more than 700 watts for too long as it has the tendency to rip the tinsel leads. I blew my 2nd-gen L7 with a HiFonics Brutus 1606D at about 3/4 volume - tinsel leads came off from the cone. The 3rd gen(shiny silver cone) I don't know but I know the same shiny coned L5 will also rip the tinsel leads(I had one and blew it with the same brutus 1606D). The latest-gen L7(black cone with small white L7 letter in the middle) is the one you want as it is redesigned and don't have any problems.

The latest-gen L7 looks like this and this is the one you want

NEW KICKER S15L7 15" L7 SUB CAR AUDIO 2000W SUBWOOFER | eBay

If you have the latest-gen L7 then bring on the Onyx, otherwise pick something that's just 2 ohm stable and makes 500~600 watts and call it safe and happy.
Yea that's the one(ebay link), so I guess it's the latest. So even though the sub says 1000 watts rms, it really can't handle that much? I have a lot to learn lol

as far as amp a wall socket will do just fine...
that said, when you go to install it take your time and dont get in a rush. also if you dont have a digital multi meter, go buy one. it will be your best friend.

and btw that mb amp will actually do more along the lines of 750 at 2 ohms.
I'm taking my time with this for sure, I've always had a interest, just didn't have the money and since the sub is free why not lol. This is why i haven't gone to an audio shop for an amp yet, I'm afraid of getting ripped off lol. Will definitely pick up a DMM, since they're pretty cheap, and it sounds easy enough to use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.