Amp suggestion for Focal Utopia Be No. 6 - Focal, McIntosh or JL?

Participant count
  • Participant list

saxguy

I am going to have a system installed in my car - space is very limited. We are going to use a DQL-8 off the HU and mains will be Utopia Be No. 6. Space wise, the JL 5/900 will work well. Going with the Focal line I would need one 4.160 and one 1.500 (for the sub). If I go with McIntosh I would go with two MCC301s and maybe another Mc amp for the sub.

I would like to know if anyone has experience pairing these amps with these speakers? Any comments regarding sonic differences would be appreciated.

I am running Utopia No. 7 line. I am going to power them with a Zapco DC ref 650.6. ch 1/2 to the Xovers and channels 5/6 to the Mid bass drivers. As I wish I had the funds to run a MX406, I would probably still run the Zapco over the McIntosh amps just because of the built in DSP. Just MO

Focal makes great speakers, not such great amps. Good amps, yes, but not great. McIntosh makes awesome amps. If your looking in that range also look into Audison, or Sinfoni Amps as well.

It never hurts to look into old school amps. Some of the cleanest power came from those old tube and mosfet bastards. You can also look into Butler Tube amps. Few guys (engineers) that worked for PPI left the company and started making them. Great amps. Bulky, but hey they are tube amps after all.

I was just talking to my installer and he is recommending that we do a custom Tru Tech amp to minimize space. I don't know much about Tru Tech. How do their amps compare to McIntosh?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.