Amp shut off randomly in middle of a song

Participant count
  • Participant list

WaCk071

KS
So when I got off work tonight my amp decided to completely shut off. I checked all the wires and they seem to be good but it's late so I will look more in depth tomorrow. I was thinking it could be because it's really cold, or becuase my remote wire is wired in with my antenna power so I may have to switch it to am or FM to get it to turn on which I read from a site, but I've never had to do that before. It could also be a blown fuse, but I can't really tell what a blown fuse looks like, and also it's dark so it's hard to see right now. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. It could just be a broken amp because it's a ****** boss audio r6002. But please try to help me diagnose it before I assume it's dead. I don't really have money for a $200 amp right now. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Does it happen on low or high volume?

That remote wire should be wired in back of HU to blue wire under labeled name remote.

Could be a lose ground wire, or not bare metal to bare metal.

Gain on amp too high.

yeah check ground make sure gain around 60% not 100% what are u powering with it? u don't have to spend $200 to get a amp 50x better than boss.. blown fuse will normally be black in middle check fuse under hood then at amp.. if amp is messed up we can find u a better amp or at very least u can find better amp on cl or fb close to u used for $80 (i saw 600watt kenwood close to me $30)..

Does it happen on low or high volume?
That remote wire should be wired in back of HU to blue wire under labeled name remote.

Could be a lose ground wire, or not bare metal to bare metal.

Gain on amp too high.
I was playing it louder than normal last night, but today when I got in my car this morning it was on until I put my car in reverse and then it shut off again and I was at low volume. I have a long strand of wires coming from my head unit to my trunk for all the speaker wires and such because I have a Mercury sable and the actual "radio" is located in the trunk, so basically the head unit wires all go to the trunk, and then they connect to the factory wires to the speakers. I have the remote wire connected to the wire in the long strand coming from the head unit, but the only remote wire I could find in all the wires was the antenna power wire. I can try to find a better ground and all also turn the gain down to see if it will stay on.

yeah check ground make sure gain around 60% not 100% what are u powering with it? u don't have to spend $200 to get a amp 50x better than boss.. blown fuse will normally be black in middle check fuse under hood then at amp.. if amp is messed up we can find u a better amp or at very least u can find better amp on cl or fb close to u used for $80 (i saw 600watt kenwood close to me $30)..
It isn't at 100 it's probably around 75% which is bad so I'll turn it down.

I also checked the fuse briefly and I didn't see any blackness or anything, and my amp also turned back on this morning when I started my car, but as soon as I shifted into reverse it shut off. Even before I started moving. So I'm concerned it's power issues with voltage or something but I wouldn't know because I'm not great with electric work. I would think if the ground was bad the amp would go into protect but maybe not.

I was playing it louder than normal last night, but today when I got in my car this morning it was on until I put my car in reverse and then it shut off again and I was at low volume. I have a long strand of wires coming from my head unit to my trunk for all the speaker wires and such because I have a Mercury sable and the actual "radio" is located in the trunk, so basically the head unit wires all go to the trunk, and then they connect to the factory wires to the speakers. I have the remote wire connected to the wire in the long strand coming from the head unit, but the only remote wire I could find in all the wires was the antenna power wire. I can try to find a better ground and all also turn the gain down to see if it will stay on.
8D3oGj6.jpg

Okay so Ford is stupid and the factory head unit is known as the "receiver" and the actual radio box and stuff is in the trunk. So when you install a head unit, you have to connect all the wires. Well, all the wires are in the trunk, so you have to take the wires that come from a kit when you buy the head unit kit, run it from the head unit to the back of the trunk, then connect the connector from the old wires to the new wires, bypassing the old radio box. Basically, your taking the wires from the factory radio in the trunk, and adding an extension, and running it to the front of your car to the back of the head unit. Sorry if that's complicated I didn't understand it either. One of those wires is the antenna power wire, so I cut the extension wire that came with the kit, and connected the old antenna wire, the new one going to the head unit, and then also connected it to the amp remote turn on. The cables in the photo have an antenna wire extension, and the radio wire extensions, to help with understand what I mean.
d1272798836691ad281d7aec15602f36.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.