amp recommendations for 1500w rms. (2 sundown sa-12's)

Participant count
  • Participant list

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
I was looking at the skar rp 2000d. but it has 10% one star ratings and a bunch of people with protection issues.
I looked at the skar sk-v2 1500d. which is their "competition grade" 1500 w rms amp. story doesnt seem much better there either.

The next option i can find with overall good reviews is a jl audio amp that runs a cool 650 bucks. (more than twice the skars)
any amp recommendations that can push a clean 1500rms without going over 400 bucks?
im wary of buying used for amps. but if its an absolute steal and it will be relatively cheap to fix i guess i'm open to it

im debating just buying the skar amp and crossing my fingers. hoping it can pump 1500 rms consistently at 13.8v. i dont have an alternator just a northstar agm. and if i have protect issues at high volume ill sell it and bite the bullet on a more premium amp. depends what you all suggest

Last edited:
I was looking at the skar rp 2000d. but it has 10% one star ratings and a bunch of people with protection issues.
I looked at the skar sk-v2 1500d. which is their "competition grade" 1500 w rms amp. story doesnt seem much better there either.

The next option i can find with overall good reviews is a jl audio amp that runs a cool 650 bucks. (more than twice the skars)
any amp recommendations that can push a clean 1500rms without going over 400 bucks?
im wary of buying used for amps. but if its an absolute steal and it will be relatively cheap to fix i guess i'm open to it

im debating just buying the skar amp and crossing my fingers. hoping it can pump 1500 rms consistently at 13.8v. i dont have an alternator just a northstar agm. and if i have protect issues at high volume ill sell it and bite the bullet on a more premium amp. depends what you all suggest
reviews also come from people who really dont know much about car audio and that the RP series is china built, inefficient power hogs. The SK line is from korea, much better but you are overpaying up the ass for premium. JL is even more way over priced. These two amps **** on skar and JL price to performance ratio along with good warranty.

Skar is garbage and so is the owner. Just google Skar scam if you want to.

Taramps smart 3 Would be my choice.
you've been absolutely invaluable to me man i cant thank you enough. im looking into taramps now and i love how they post their rms rating @12.6v
not testing it at 14.4 and not specifying at what voltage it can push its rated rms at.

i just ordered that smart 3 on amazon. geez man for 279 a 3000 watt rms amplifier that can push 1 and two ohm loads. leaves me a bit of an upgrade path if i wanna swap the sa's for the 1500w versions a few years donw the line. and they could even be at a 2 ohm load! that clipping indicator is amazing i just wish it had one for >1% distortion

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.