AMP Overheating

Participant count
  • Participant list

JeepPayton

Hey guys, im new to this to this site. but i need some help; my amp is overheating, blowing fuses, and this all happens within 20 mins of playing. plus the amp sounds like its playing at half power. this started about 2 days ago. is my amp on its way out or is it my ground? my ground is secured to my rear seat mount down to the bare metal of the tub of my car. and the wire on my amp side is kinda screwwy, i had to put partially in the fitting, and the other half is around the fitting electrical taped around. i had to do it quick to get on the road to school. i know its a dumb idea, but i didnt have the time to get a new fitting or the time to solder it in. since the ground wire slipped out of the fitting.

Sounds like a bad amp, bad wire fuse, bad power wire, cut power wire...

Mainly your power wire can be pinched or shorting somewhere or your fuse melted

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

so if my power wire is pinched inbetween the box and the floor this can happen? and its the fuses in the amp that are blowing, not the main power fuse
Have you bothered to check the power wire and main fuse?

If the main fuse is rated more then the wire or amp this can cause issues also.

Clipping the amp can do this too, but then this would mean the main fuse is allowing too much power thru.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

What amp is it?

I would never use an amp if the power/ground terminal is faulty, lose, can't tighten the screw correctly, etc for this reason alone. Your just asking for a car fire in the long run. But luckily you have fuses intact and the amp has protection circuitry where it shuts down.

Upload a few pics too.

Lastly, some amps shut down because they cannot handle the low impedance that are being fed. Make sure your not running a stupid ohm load just for shits an giigles.

Hey guys, im new to this to this site. but i need some help; my amp is overheating, blowing fuses, and this all happens within 20 mins of playing. plus the amp sounds like its playing at half power. this started about 2 days ago. is my amp on its way out or is it my ground? my ground is secured to my rear seat mount down to the bare metal of the tub of my car. and the wire on my amp side is kinda screwwy, i had to put partially in the fitting, and the other half is around the fitting electrical taped around. i had to do it quick to get on the road to school. i know its a dumb idea, but i didnt have the time to get a new fitting or the time to solder it in. since the ground wire slipped out of the fitting.
Any place you are increasing resistance in the circuit you will get more heat. A poor connection will do this. This is also likely why your fuses are blowing. Fix your wiring first and quickly.

Obviously you need to address the wiring connections to ground and to the amp. Both need to be clean and secure. But blowing internal fuses usually means either the amp is broken or there's too much load on it (low impedance sub or shorted output wires).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.