amp output voltage calc?

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
i was talking to a guy that was talking about a "amp output voltage" calc that

can be found online. im trying to set amp correctly to full potential. and he said this would

help. and he didnt know what it was called. i know this aint much of a explanation but

does anyone know what im talking about?

yea i set it by ear before. i used a oscope frm a friend and checked it. dont get me wrong it was a super clear signal and done by ear.. but was not even close

to putting out the rms

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

im bout to go use a dmm tho

yea i set it by ear before. i used a oscope frm a friend and checked it. dont get me wrong it was a super clear signal and done by ear.. but was not even closeto putting out the rms

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

im bout to go use a dmm tho
The link I provided has everything you could want.

Yeah IDK I almost wanna start a debate on this because I always set the gain via ears. I understand the equations and everything but picking a test tone from somewhere (seems like most people prob just get one from anywhere).

A: how is 50 a good frequency to use, I've heard 2 things one that it should be an octave lower than the lowest xover freq (assuming most ppl have this at 80-90 I guess 50 is close to that. Another thing I've heard is that you use that tone because it is the middle of the range you have that speaker playing.

B: different tone generators operate at different volumes and steadiness.....so to me I just don't trust having things that are pretty loosely throw together be some sort of exact measurement of wattage....to me it just doesn't seem like even ballpark accuracy.

C: will voltage readout change based on RPMs/alternator influence?

Thoughts?

I think the 75% volume rule for the DMM is retarded. Most good HUs dont clip untill they are **** near maxed out. You are leaving a lot of potential behind.
I agree however for the purposes of the DMM method, I'm sure everyone gets proper output voltage before having to crank the gain on the amp at 75% volume....I guess for those who still need more voltage cuz their gain is full and 75% volume then they can go higher...but I doubt this happens much. Keep in mind I still agree with your point that being it's not an accurate guess to clipping either.

ok i know this aint a big dmm, but this is the one i have. i know to choose the ac volts on the meter to set me gain but idk which to set it to on the

meter. the options are av volts "750 or 200"??? and help please..thanks

heres a link to dmm:

Redirect Notice

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.