amp not putting out the power it used to

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
I am using the same amp ( alpine mrx-m100) I used in a different car and I'm almost maxing out gain and now need to use the bass level gain which I used to never use and still my output seem low while my voltage drops. Any ideas ? I am using the seat bolts for ground and I even added a second battery and still voltage drop and amp is not putting out.

I am using the same amp ( alpine mrx-m100) I used in a different car and I'm almost maxing out gain and now need to use the bass level gain which I used to never use and still my output seem low while my voltage drops. Any ideas ? I am using the seat bolts for ground and I even added a second battery and still voltage drop and amp is not putting out.
what are you using for signal?

what are you using for signal?
signal? please rephrase.. ? If I'm understanding this correctly then I am using the iPhone6s from pandora or ipod on USB. I used to do this with this same amp and had way better sound. I also replaced the HU to a 2016 Kenwood and still have the same low output.

signal? please rephrase.. ? If I'm understanding this correctly then I am using the iPhone6s from pandora or ipod on USB. I used to do this with this same amp and had way better sound. I also replaced the HU to a 2016 Kenwood and still have the same low output.
2016 kenwood says nothing, name actual models, nobody cares about the year, its completely useless and gives zero specs. What head unit did you use before in the old car?

What car is your old car that got louder and whats your new car right now? You cant expect us to answer anything when you've given us nothing. Need EVERY specific details of the system listed out.

aka all gear used, vehicles, head unit settings(sub level, volume level example: 50 out of 62) how the sub is facing, what is the box specs, some pictures of the setup.

This amp has been in 3 of my cars a 2001 Chevy van with a second battery, a 1996 honda civic and now a 2003 denali with a second battery . I have always had 1 sub on it, a JL w6v3 12", a pioneer 12" champion series pro, and a JL w6v3 10" HO110 box. I am currently using this HO110 W6V3 10" on this amp , it sit in the rear facing the side and I originally had it on the factory radio using a speaker wire to RCA adapter but I wasn't getting the output from the amp and had the bass gain all the way up which I never use. I decided to get an after market radio and went with a kenwood DDX373BT which has 4 volt pre-amp outputs I also added a optima battery so that my voltage would stop dropping and none of this has helped. My output hasn't improved, my bass level is maxed on the amp which I never used before and I know what this amp and sub can do and its not doing it. I am using CCA and used to use copper this is one change but I only need 600 rms so feel my amp should be OK with this, people rock much more on CCA and have no issues. I question the grounds cause I am using the seat bolts and I had to remove paint from bolt face which makes contact with the 4 Gage terminal but still feel not sure since it is not as clean as I would like it to be. I haven't tuned to a specific volt just by ear and my gain is about 7/8 of the way up. I am getting 13.7 volts from power and ground so this seems well but drops when I turn it up.

f75681434c814a266b34b78a27264db4.jpg

abb7f9de85096875dab290b97fe6ffeb.jpg

Noticie the terminal is on plastic but the face of washer but the face is pure metal , the bolt is bare metal as well. The nut on washer are one , the washer spins but does not come apart.

b1ea3dd7f5d91bce23e7da5c20d90f5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This amp has been in 3 of my cars a 2001 Chevy van with a second battery, a 1996 honda civic and now a 2003 denali with a second battery . I have always had 1 sub on it, a JL w6v3 12", a pioneer 12" champion series pro, and a JL w6v3 10" HO110 box. I am currently using this HO110 W6V3 10" on this amp , it sit in the rear facing the side and I originally had it on the factory radio using a speaker wire to RCA adapter but I wasn't getting the output from the amp and had the bass gain all the way up which I never use. I decided to get an after market radio and went with a kenwood DDX373BT which has 4 volt pre-amp outputs I also added a optima battery so that my voltage would stop dropping and none of this has helped. My output hasn't improved, my bass level is maxed on the amp which I never used before and I know what this amp and sub can do and its not doing it. I am using CCA and used to use copper this is one change but I only need 600 rms so feel my amp should be OK with this, people rock much more on CCA and have no issues. I question the grounds cause I am using the seat bolts and I had to remove paint from bolt face which makes contact with the 4 Gage terminal but still feel not sure since it is not as clean as I would like it to be. I haven't tuned to a specific volt just by ear and my gain is about 7/8 of the way up. I am getting 13.7 volts from power and ground so this seems well but drops when I turn it up.

ok, few things....

1: turn your gain down before you blow stuff

2: have your sub face the rear not the side

3: AGAIN.... what is your head unit settings? aka volume level, sub level etc..

4: You'll need a multi-meter and measure your AC volts coming out of the amp's speaker terminals.

5: big 3 upgrade if you havent done so.

6: your vehicle might use too much amperage and have nothing left over alternator wise for car audio.

cca wire shouldnt audibly affect anything output wise

ok, few things....
1: turn your gain down before you blow stuff

2: have your sub face the rear not the side

3: AGAIN.... what is your head unit settings? aka volume level, sub level etc..

4: You'll need a multi-meter and measure your AC volts coming out of the amp's speaker terminals.

5: big 3 upgrade if you havent done so.

6: your vehicle might use too much amperage and have nothing left over alternator wise for car audio.

cca wire shouldnt audibly affect anything output wise
Thanks for the tips, the one I question is the big 3 upgrade on 600 rms, think its really necessary? If the vehicle uses too much amperage how do I confirm and resolve? Im going to check on sub settings now.

Thanks for the tips, the one I question is the big 3 upgrade on 600 rms, think its really necessary? If the vehicle uses too much amperage how do I confirm and resolve? Im going to check on sub settings now.
main things I wanted you to focus on is 1, 2, 3, and 4 thats why they came first on the list. Dont even bother worrying with 5 and 6 until you address the first 4.

Those grounds svck. Not being mean but u can't ground it to a plastic seat cover and nasty corroded washer Lol gotta get it down to bare clean metal. But yea follow what Jeff said.

main things I wanted you to focus on is 1, 2, 3, and 4 thats why they came first on the list. Dont even bother worrying with 5 and 6 until you address the first 4.
Ok so I went about .7 up on volume and bass level on amp all the way down and bass knob all the way up and tuned to 34v which is the tune calculation for my sub. It still sound just ok and the voltage still drops. What is min voltage drop before I'm putting things at risk? I agree as well about my grounds. I have to find a Better option. It's just really limited under a seat unless I go back about 4 or 5' and I've always heard the shorter the better.

Ok so I went about .7 up on volume and bass level on amp all the way down and bass knob all the way up and tuned to 34v which is the tune calculation for my sub. It still sound just ok and the voltage still drops. What is min voltage drop before I'm putting things at risk? I agree as well about my grounds. I have to find a Better option. It's just really limited under a seat unless I go back about 4 or 5' and I've always heard the shorter the better.

sub loading is very important, facing the rear hatch is important if you want any kind of real output.

You still havent told me your max volume level and what volume level you are at along with your subwoofer level. How many times must i make this question clear!!!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.