Amp not outputting correct voltage?

Participant count
  • Participant list

09VIC

Atlanta
Hi guys I have an ssl Evo 5000d amp and something is wrong. While attempting to set my amps gain with a dmm I found out my amp isn't putting out what it should. According to online amp dynos my amp should be roughly capable of 1500wrms so my output at the speaker terminal with a 50hz test signal should be around 36 volts. My problem is that after about 1/3 of the way turning the amps gain knob doesn't increase the output voltage past 19. The only way I'm able to achieve the output I want is by testing it with my remote knob on a quarter turn which I'm sure is a clipped signal. Where should I start to look first? I replaced my cheap head unit with a pioneer p3300bt with 4volt outputs and it didn't help. I have 1/0 belva wiring ran to my optima yellow top in the trunk and have a 2009 crown Vic with the police alternator. From my optima I have a distribution terminal running 8 gauge to my crunch 4 channel amp, a 4 gauge run going to a belva 2000 amp that is powered still but no signal or speakers connected to it, and finally a 1/0 run to my amp. My alpine type R's are wired to 1 ohm so I should be getting north of 30 volts what's my problem? Is the unused amp fighting for current?

Hi guys I have an ssl Evo 5000d amp and something is wrong. While attempting to set my amps gain with a dmm I found out my amp isn't putting out what it should. According to online amp dynos my amp should be roughly capable of 1500wrms so my output at the speaker terminal with a 50hz test signal should be around 36 volts. My problem is that after about 1/3 of the way turning the amps gain knob doesn't increase the output voltage past 19. The only way I'm able to achieve the output I want is by testing it with my remote knob on a quarter turn which I'm sure is a clipped signal. Where should I start to look first? I replaced my cheap head unit with a pioneer p3300bt with 4volt outputs and it didn't help. I have 1/0 belva wiring ran to my optima yellow top in the trunk and have a 2009 crown Vic with the police alternator. From my optima I have a distribution terminal running 8 gauge to my crunch 4 channel amp, a 4 gauge run going to a belva 2000 amp that is powered still but no signal or speakers connected to it, and finally a 1/0 run to my amp. My alpine type R's are wired to 1 ohm so I should be getting north of 30 volts what's my problem? Is the unused amp fighting for current?
Interesting what the rail voltage supposed to be? if its below what the company tells you it should be there is a problem..

The remote could be the remote gainSo have it wide open on the remote then set the gain

Turn the remote down when needed

I tried with the knob wife open and even with the gain all the way at 0 on the amp I get around 30 volts which is way too high it should start around 4 since my head unit outputs at 4v and should I unplug my other unused amp?

I tried with the knob wife open and even with the gain all the way at 0 on the amp I get around 30 volts which is way too high it should start around 4 since my head unit outputs at 4v and should I unplug my other unused amp?
you get 30 volts on the amps output leads?

On my speaker outputs I get 19 volts Max and it maxes out at only 1/3 turn of the gain knob with the remote knob at 0. If I turn the remote knob all the way up and the gain on the amp at 0 I get about 30 volts at the speaker terminals.

On my speaker outputs I get 19 volts Max and it maxes out at only 1/3 turn of the gain knob with the remote knob at 0. If I turn the remote knob all the way up and the gain on the amp at 0 I get about 30 volts at the speaker terminals.
did you set the gains correctly? the knob is meant to replace the gain for ease of use. it should override the gain on the amp.

Basic Car Audio Electronics

they have some very good info there. doesn't seem like anyone knows it exist!

Guys after unplugging the remote I was able to get my desired voltage with just the gain adjustment. My new problem is even though I went under the voltage I could and tuned it to 34 after driving around for about 10 minutes with the radio at 30 out of 40 went I popped the trunk I smelled the subs so they are getting clipped still because no way am I anywhere near 2000 watts rms which two type R's can handle.

Guys after unplugging the remote I was able to get my desired voltage with just the gain adjustment. My new problem is even though I went under the voltage I could and tuned it to 34 after driving around for about 10 minutes with the radio at 30 out of 40 went I popped the trunk I smelled the subs so they are getting clipped still because no way am I anywhere near 2000 watts rms which two type R's can handle.
You do know that amp doesn't do rated power? I seen what it did on the dyno, that doesn't mean it will do it in your car.

I wouldn't set the gain for no more then 800 watts to be safe. I'd hate to blow the subs for a slight gain in volume.

You do know that amp doesn't do rated power? I seen what it did on the dyno, that doesn't mean it will do it in your car. I wouldn't set the gain for no more then 800 watts to be safe. I'd hate to blow the subs for a slight gain in volume.
Ok and next question if I were to get another amp the audiopipe 1800 seems like a good way to go and until then to save my subs would it be possible to run them at 2 ohms off of my two different amplifiers if they are gain matched? The other amp is a belva bb2000 and whole no true numbers exist the bb3000 when dynod did about 1400 rms so the bb2000 probably makes 1000 and 500 at 2 ohm. My subs are in a ported box with seperate Chambers but they share the port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.