amp lessons on cl, now I know where to go with Q's

goingdef
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Norfolk VA
Lesson About Amplifiers - $1 (You)

Date: 2010-08-18, 9:04AM EDT

Reply to: sale-srrtg-1905210568@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Folks, all home, professional and car stereo amplifiers are NOT created equal. You will only get the amount of power out of them that you put IN them. For example, a QSC RMX 1450 professional band amplifier will state on the specs that it produces 1000 watts of power, and costs around $500. That is typically a very accurate statement. The amplifier is drawing 120 volts into it, and then converting that 120 volts to RMS wattage. So a good home or professional amplifier will produce the highest power. A typical rock concert indoors only produces about 1200 watts per side, litterally blowing you out of the building.

A typical car amplifier that advertises 1000 watts is misleading you. You can not get 1000 watts of power from a 12 volt power source. It is just impossible to produce that much power from a 12 volt power source. A farad cap only provides a continous solid 12 volts so that no strain is put on the alternator when using a car amplifier. A good car amp, such as Rockford Fosgate or Zapco, usually have the most honest claims of true power. And they are among the best amplifiers on the market today. Research this and you will see, Zapco will typically produce an average of 100 watts RMS from the best amplifier. Rockford Fosgate always comes with a spec sheet from the factory, tested before it ships with the TRUE RMS power displayed on the sheets. Most all (even of the same model amp) are slightly different. Believe me, a true 60 watt car amp will blow you out of the car. The car amps advertising 1200 watts typically only produce around 40 TRUE watts RMS. This fact can be proven by simply using a watt meter on the outputs of any amplifier.

So the next time you decide to go with an amplifier for the car that advertises "2000 watts" you might want to reconsider. Unless you have a 120 volt power source it is impossible to produce that much power in a vehicle. You are probably only pushing 50 or 60 watts. And, yes, that amount will definately blow YOU out of your vehicle. The BOSS amp below, ($129) was tested at Christopher Newport University's Electronics Lab and although promised 5000 watts of power, only produced 66 watts RMS.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 1905210568-0

I found this AWESOME amp lesson on CL this man knows whats up!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

Just thought some may get a kick out of this.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif

I should see if he can meet up with me and give me some advice on car audio and how I can get the most of my 12v's and 60wrms man thta means when you at 150db you got to be pushing at least 80 watts!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.