Amp keeps going into protection mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

PNILLZ

I have a db drive okur 1000.1 amp, Ive had it in 2 cars in the past 2 years and its worked great. About 2 weeks ago subs cut out and I thought it was a blown fuse until I seen the protection light illuminated. It will play at low volumes but when I start to turn it up it goes back into protection idk what's wrong. I got it professionally installed in both cars buy the same person and I've never touched the settings on the amp. What could the problem be?

Unfortunately, the fact that someone gets paid to do things isn't indicative of their expertise. A lot of professional installers don't know how to set the gain on an amp, so your amp could have been being over driven all this time.

It could be a blown speaker, which could also be caused by improper amp settings or it could simply be a loose or corroded power or ground wire.

If you have access to a digital multimeter, I can explain to you how to test your speakers but before you do that, go over ALL of your power and ground connections to the amp and make sure they're tight and clean... from the battery all the way tot he amp ground. And don't forget to remove the fuse(s)and make sure they're not corroded.

Unfortunately, the fact that someone gets paid to do things isn't indicative of their expertise. A lot of professional installers don't know how to set the gain on an amp, so your amp could have been being over driven all this time.

It could be a blown speaker, which could also be caused by improper amp settings or it could simply be a loose or corroded power or ground wire.

If you have access to a digital multimeter, I can explain to you how to test your speakers but before you do that, go over ALL of your power and ground connections to the amp and make sure they're tight and clean... from the battery all the way tot he amp ground. And don't forget to remove the fuse(s)and make sure they're not corroded.

Ok I have 2 questions for you, should I cut the corroded wiring and reinstall the fresh into the amp? Are you talking about the fuses in the amp or the one under the hood connected to the battery? If its the ones on the amp how do you take them out?

Ok I have 2 questions for you, should I cut the corroded wiring and reinstall the fresh into the amp? Are you talking about the fuses in the amp or the one under the hood connected to the battery? If its the ones on the amp how do you take them out?

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

did you get a flat battery latle?
Not sure what that is...

any bad connections go and re-do them and make sure your earths are to bare metal and not paint, alsocheck all fuses, take them out and put them back in.

If you find corroded connections, then yes, clean them or cut them back and re make them if you have enough slack in the wire. And check all fuses. You just pull the ones in the amplifier straight out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.