Amp issue, not sure what's up...

Participant count
  • Participant list

toodamtall

CarAudio.com Newbie
First off, this isn't my first multi channel amp install and have never had an issue before, but here goes...

RAM 1500 quad cab. Kenwood DMX7705 receiver. Pioneer GM D9605 5 channel amp, Infinity reference 6.5" components with crossovers up front, reference 6x9 3 ways in back, Alpine DVC 12" sub.

Install took a while. I made certain that I had no tight wires, nothing contacting any sharp spots etc. Everything is in phase and double checked. 14ga speaker wire. 8ga wire to the sub, wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load. The reference series speakers are all a 3ohm impedance.4Ga cable down the left side of the cab from the battery. 4ga ground wire to the rear seat frame, which is bolted through the body. Drilled a hole, ran a dremel tool with a mini drum sander around the hole to strip any paint at the contact point, ring terminal is bolted into it with a 5/16" bolt. All connections are done with pro grade Stakon insulated terminals done with a Klein crimping tool, except the power leads which were done with an industrial crimper.

Turned it on and it all sounded great. Buttoned everything back up and drove home from my buddy's garage. On the way home, suddenly lost my entire rear channel - both sides and smelled something like cooked wiring. Got home and checked everything out again, no warning lights or protect mode stuff, just no B channel. Took my multi tester out and rechecked all of my speaker connections. Every speaker set is measuring 3.00± 0.05 ohms. Right where it should be. Returned the amp, which was showing no output at all from the B side. Installed a new amp, same model as before. Once again life is good. A month or so goes by while jamming on new tunes and enjoying life with my new stereo, and poof, B channel goes out again.

The A channel was still working (initially anyhow) and the sub channel is still working. Now the A channel is cutting in and out.

I've taken my door panels off, rechecked my connections. Rechecked all of my wiring (short of ripping the carpets back up) and rechecked the speaker loads. Evertyhing is still right where it should be. The amp is still getting power, with no warning lights.

I'm ready to change over to a different brand of amp now. I've read a few reviews of this amp on Amazon that stated that they had the same type of issue.

Is there anything else that people can think of checking?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.