AMP Install/Fuses going out

Participant count
  • Participant list

RainStryke
10+ year member

Kansas
I just picked up my new Soundstream 1.700 AMP and it seems to be going through all of my fuses. It has 3 30A fuses. When I plug it up and put the fuse from my battery to my amp back in, it frys my 30A fuses in the AMP. I'm not really sure what ive done wrong with my set-up.

I had two other AMP's that were able to connect to the power just fine, no fuses. Now there has recently been a change of alternators. My old alternator just went bad, the new one is just a stock alternator.

I'm using what it calls for, 4AWG wires. Have about a 16FT 4AWG power cord from the battery to the AMP. Then about a 1FT long 4AWG ground to the amp. The sub is not even connected at the moment, just trying to get power to the amp without my fueses going out.

Sounds like something is shorted internally. Is the amp new or new to you? (i.e. did you buy it used) and where did you get it from?

Purchased through an online eBay store.

Techronics-Store items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

This is actually the second AMP, the first one would power on but no sound to anything I connected it to. Sent it back, they sent me this one, but it didn't come with the remote bass cord, last one came with the remote bass cord but no remote. I'm beginning to think I am getting crappy amps from this seller. This amp is supposed to be brand new.

Ok, so I removed all of the fuese, removed all wires and reinstalled them to make sure none of them were touching. Installed all fuses and went to plug in the 60A fuse that goes to my battery. Plugged that in and POP it went out. Had an extra 60A fuse laying around, popped that in... It made a small pop but didn't melt the fuse. Checked my 30A fuses in the AMP, everything was fine. Powered on the car, now the AMP is powering on, but i'm not getting anything to my sub. This is EXACTLY what happened with my last AMP I just RMA'd... but I was sure to check the serial number to make sure they sent me a new one and it is definitly a different AMP. I'm unfamiliar with mono AMP's and see that there are 2 sets of RCA hook-ups (input/output), I have both in the input.

Long Long ago, I had a Soundstream Ref. Class A 6.0 amp and it rocked my world... years went by and I blindly bought another Soundstream amp without any research what-so-ever, it was a PIC.1700D (fused at 150 amps, class D must be good!)..

First one plain and simply didin't work - failed to turn on.

Second one, extremely low output - tried everything to get this amp to... amplify, but it was just weak. No matter what I did it was simply very very low powered. I was able to remove 4 of the 5 - 30 amp fuses, and short circuit the speaker outputs, and it wouldn't even blow the single fuse.

Third one, seemed to work well for the first hour or 2, and I was quite happy with the power, then it just went berserk and got into some feedback loop and would just play a loud, low tone that could not be stopped. Even when the remote wire was disconnected, it just kept pumping out a very loud low frequency note... I had to start pulling fuses till it popped 3 x 30 amps..(on the side of the road, in traffic)

Finally, the 4th one... I didn't even open the box when I got it, since they refused allowing me to return it, I took the 4th NEW amp and placed it directly on eBay and sold it at a significant loss... (all 4 amps were new, 1st one purchased from a local store, and all others were direct exchanges with the Canadian importer of Soundstream).

I seriously regret ever selling the Ref. Class A 6.0 - cause that amp was awesome... Buying the Picasso series after that was the dumbest thing I ever did!

Worst experience ever!

Good luck with your issues.

soundstreampicassopic17.jpg

soundstreampicassopic17r.jpg

soundstreampic1700d002.jpg

soundstreampicassopic17.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.