Amp in trunk, where to run speaker wire to fronts?

ZeNmAc

CA
I have a quick simple question. I have a 4 channel amp I'm installing in my trunk. It will be powering my sub in the trunk and my two woofers in the doors.

Basically, I read putting the RCA next to the power wire will cause interference, is this true for the speaker wire as well? Ideally I'd run one wire on each side, but I don't want my left speaker to have problems with interference. If that is the case I could run them both on the side with RCA but that requires more wire.

It can,create interference, yet,In my opinion.most of the time its fine to do,as long as you have a good ground on the amp.If you have an issue,then reroute the wiring.I dont have any issues with mine ran that way.Just remember ...not to crimp/pinch the wiring,and not to shoot a screw through wiring,as this is easily done,creating issues.IMO though...everyday car?I dont see why not.. mine is ran that way,rcas are away from the power wiring though.

speaker wire is cheap and you will only need 16 or 18 gauge i got like 40 ft of stinger by my local shop and it was less than 20 bucks i think maybe 16 and i used that for my fronts and rear speakers on my drivers front i ran the wire to the passenger side and then ran it back its no where near the power wire, wires cheap why not just run it a couple more feet its maybe a dollar or so and its not worth it to get interference for a buck or two. imho that is

Thanks both of you.

speaker wire is cheap and you will only need 16 or 18 gauge i got like 40 ft of stinger by my local shop and it was less than 20 bucks i think maybe 16 and i used that for my fronts and rear speakers on my drivers front i ran the wire to the passenger side and then ran it back its no where near the power wire, wires cheap why not just run it a couple more feet its maybe a dollar or so and its not worth it to get interference for a buck or two. imho that is
The 20ft of speaker wire that came with my amp kit wasn't long enough to run along the passenger side. I had a 30ft roll of speaker wire that I'm using instead. Hopefully it's long enough. 12ga though, way overkill. It seems like a shame to put such nice looking wire in my car, but the only other stuff I have is maybe 16ga and super cheap stuff. I've seen it start to discolor after a while so I don't want to put it in my car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif.

You can run it down the same side. Just don't put it right next to your power wire. Even a half inch or so of separation between the wires will be fine.

I run my speaker wire on the driver side right next to the power wire and don't have a problem, as it'd be a tremendous hassle to run across and down the passenger side. No interference for me though:) But I have noticed if the RCA's get near a power wire, major interference.

I think alot of it has to do with the quality of the wires involved. The cable shield thickness can make a big difference in determining whether there's going to be any "bleedover".

If you want to be safe, just put the power and rca/speaker wires at least a half inch away from each other.

Speaker wires are low impedance and do not pick up noise. Factory systems run them through the same harnesses that power windows and door locks without noise issues. Don't worry about it.

RCA's are a different matter.

you can also run the wire down the middle. the center console pulls out pretty easy.

or run on either side, but along the floor. i don't run wires in the sill anymore. i pull seats, pull back carpet, and make my own route.

over the years, many people have blamed RCA routing (near power wires) with noise. i have never seen that to be the case. cheap equipment, failed components, poor grounding, or other installation methods result in noise.

do away with the rear speakers since they arn't needed...and tap into those speaker wires...when they come back into your dash by the radio just loop through to your front doors...saves hours of running and fishing wires...through seats under carpet and through doors...this may even save scraped knuckles and a few choice cuss words....

do away with the rear speakers since they arn't needed...and tap into those speaker wires...when they come back into your dash by the radio just loop through to your front doors...saves hours of running and fishing wires...through seats under carpet and through doors...this may even save scraped knuckles and a few choice cuss words....

i have done this as well for some installs. you need to ensure you don't have a factory amplifier (as it would change the "loop through" location. and also evaluate the wire gauge with the power you are delivering. lastly, i prefer wire with no termination between amp and driver. factory wiring can have several plugs or junctions you should be aware of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.