Amp heating up a little and staying on? Houstan we have a problem....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pyrofan

CarAudio.com Elite
Ga
Ok, so we got a new VFL 4480.1 from MyLowes ( arrived nice and man its small). The amp is

heating up when playing. It doesn't get too hot to touch but does get warm. The HU is giving a

clean signal and the amp isn't distorting (set with Oscope).

Voltage never gets below 14v. Amp isn't running at full tilt either. Voltage is about 37-38 volts so

less then 1600 watts. Also the amp stays on for about 2 min after key is removed. That ok? Thanks

guys!

That amp is fine man..Mine get warm to the touch as I run full tilt,but never shut down on me..Great little monsters.Clean too.If you are concerned about the heat factor,,Maybe think of elevating it from the flat surface mounting position with a few (5-6)washers per mount hole to get a little air circulation going,and you shouldn't have any issues.A small fan always helps keep things cool.As far as the amp on a couple min after the key is removed, tells me that you may not be shutting your head unit off first before turning off the vehicle,in which you should /safe practice to do,or you have a remote wiring issue from the HU-the amp,and something to check to make certain you have wired the remote correctly with the hu rather than Constant Power/or memory wiring.

What size power wiring have you used?Size Fuse,as well as Ground wire?Where is the amp placed?You may even reconsider relocating the amp?Up to you of course.Try elevating it first for a week to run it.Its Class D..and very sufficient as well.

The amp staying on after key is removed. Prolly is a remote issue coming from the signal or deck. Not the amp the amp will get a little warm. That's normal. But yes elevate it some to get air on the bottom it will keep it cooler that way

What size power wiring have you used?Size Fuse,as well as Ground wire?Where is the amp placed?You may even reconsider relocating the amp?Up to you of course.Try elevating it first for a week to run it.Its Class D..and very sufficient as well.
All Knu 0 gauge.

The amp staying on after key is removed. Prolly is a remote issue coming from the signal or deck. Not the amp the amp will get a little warm. That's normal. But yes elevate it some to get air on the bottom it will keep it cooler that way
That's what I thought. May wire in some 12volt PC fans.

If it's not getting hot, you don't need fans. If you can still hold your hand on it for 10 seconds or more, it's not too hot. Electronics get warm. That said, summer's coming and it's like the surface of the sun down here.

wtf is a Houstan??? I live in Houston dunno about no Houstan...
Here in the south we have both. We have a Houstan county

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.