Amp going into protection mode??

Participant count
  • Participants list

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a Teramps HD 3000 running an FI Audio Q - 12” sub

Recently it has been shutting off and going into protection mode. What’s weird is, I just drove across the country and ran it pretty hard with no shutoffs.

Any ideas?

I checked the connections and things look normal.

I just realized I started plugging my phone into CarPlay and using the navigation. I didn’t use that during the trip or before and noticed the sound is definitely different. Could this be the reason? Maybe it’s clipping and I just cannot hear it??

I have always ran it via Bluetooth before.

Okay guys. It’s not the input Bluetooth vs CarPlay. The amp is going into protection mode as soon as I turn it up now. And, it makes a sound like a cricket. ?????

Not through the speakers. Maybe the fan or something. I noticed a sound like that about a month ago.

Last edited:
Okay guys. It’s not the input Bluetooth vs CarPlay. The amp is going into protection mode as soon as I turn it up now. And, it makes a sound like a cricket. ?????

Not through the speakers. Maybe the fan or something. I noticed a sound like that about a month ago.
Probably the fan is not running as smooth as it used to. That extra heat may result in lower output as the amp protects itself.

Is there a way to get the fan running smoothly without sending it in to a shop?
Those fans are sealed like the computer fans. No surefire way of lubricating them. Best bet would be to poke the sticker or remove coin cover on the backside, add a few drops of Mystery Oil and hope it penetrates.
Now, induction coils have been known to make noise as well. Check that the glue on them is still bonded to the board. If no glue, then see that they are not making contact with the board.

If it is out of warranty. Take the cover off and find an XSCORPIAN fan or somewhere around a115CFM fan of the same size and replace it. Its easy to do if its the fan

What's your voltage to the amp? Taramps can be touchy if it's too high or too low
Gauges are showing between 13.9 and 14.1.

However, when the bass hit on one song it dropped to 12.9 Amp stayed on (out of protection mode) which was weird.

Yesterday it turned off when I was listening to music at lower volume.

Gauges are showing between 13.9 and 14.1.

However, when the bass hit on one song it dropped to 12.9 Amp stayed on (out of protection mode) which was weird.

Yesterday it turned off when I was listening to music at lower volume.
That amp will run in the 12v range with the proper supply for the demand

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...