Amp Going from protect 2 on 2 off!!!?!?!?!?

DDSC
10+ year member

Wang-aholic
Jackson, MI
I have the setup in my sig running in a 1996 grand prix and today the amp was playin fine and then when I took the back seat out the amp stopd working, I noticed that when I turn the car on the first light to come on on the amp (aside from the logo) is the protect. Then it immedietly goes to green then just as fast goes out, the logo also seems kinda dim.

I dunno if its because its daylight out and I had the reat seat out too but one thing to know is that the amp is ground out on the bolt where the rear seat bolts to the frame but i didnt even have the back portion of the seat bolted in so I didnt have to mess with that to get it out so it shouldnt have changed anything, I have checked the wires for cuts and didnt find any so I dont knw wasup:verymad://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So you used the seat frame for ground but it wasn't bolted in???
Try grounding with a bolt?
No, the seat wasnt bolted in, instead I had the bolt holding down the ground wire

another thing I noticed is that when I turn the volume up even though I have the sub output turned off the lights on the amp still flicker like the bass is hitting and draining power even though my HU is reading the voltage at like 14:wow:

check the wiring for the sub make sure it is not touching each other and throwing it into protect,

check your ground or throw the seat back in and see if it fixes it, the seat could be touching other parts of the body and making a stronger ground. check resistance on the ground you have after subtracting the resistance from the leads of the DMM you should have less than .5ohm resistance.

bench test the amp and see what the issue is

check the wiring for the sub make sure it is not touching each other and throwing it into protect,
check your ground or throw the seat back in and see if it fixes it, the seat could be touching other parts of the body and making a stronger ground. check resistance on the ground you have after subtracting the resistance from the leads of the DMM you should have less than .5ohm resistance.

bench test the amp and see what the issue is
I took the sub and amp out of the car, the sub as sits is reading 2 ohms so thats good, the amps (should have made vid) lights get about 50% dim right after powering up and then it works its way down to about 25%.

If I turn the volume on the head unit up the lights flicker to the beat the more I turn it up, this is even with the RCA's and sub disconnected which leads me to think its either the remote lead:( or the amp itself:crying:

How would I benchtest the amp???

Open the amp check if any thing got burnt?? Check Fuses?
nothing burnt and as before fuses are ok:), Im thinking it was the remote wire because why else would the amps lights flicker to the beat when nothing from the radio execpt the remote wire is going to the amp you know???//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

i used to have the same problem, i trashed the amp, got a new one.. problem gone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif but this was long ago, so prolly your amp which was same reason mine was acting odd.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.