Amp for my budget daily driver

Participant count
  • Participant list

low00ranger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
I now have a 96 4 door Camry to drive daily and am putting a budget system. The purpose of the system is to provide a decent sound and make some noise. Right now I mainly need a recommendation on the sub amp. I am using 2 Ascendant Audio Assassin 10s. They are going in a 2.5 cf ported box, and call for 200 watts RMS. The subs are going to be 4 ohm SVC each(only option) so I need an amp that will give them 400-600 watts RMS total. The amp I'm looking at getting is the Pioneer Gm-7150M. If anyone can give me any feedback on this amp, or provide other recommendations, I would appreciate it. My only concern with this amp is whether I will really see the rated 360 watts RMS without pushing the amp too hard.

3165.jpg

2-Ohm Mono Stable

Variable Crossover (40-240Hz)

Selectable Bass Boost with Wired Bass Remote

Speaker Level Inputs

Peak Music Power: 800 Watts

Load Impedance Capability: 2~8 Ohm

Continuous Power (4 ohm): 250W x 1

Continuous Power (2 ohm): 360W x 1

Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.008%

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB

PWM Regulated MOSFET Power Supply

Screw-Type Speaker Terminals

Balanced Isolator Input Circuit

2 Channel RCA Inputs Gold

2 Channel Speaker Level Input

Input Level Control Hi-Volt (200mV ~ 6.5v)

Built-in Crossover Selectable LPF

Bass Level Control 50Hz, 0/6/9/12dB

$95.00

If you go with a two-channel with 150w/channel while the Aura unit for $100 + shipping is certainly a good deal in my humble opinion the refurbed Profile CA600 (same output: 150w/channel @ 4 Ohms) factory-direct with a valid warranty for $65 + shipping is an even better deal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

the profile would do the job for u they'll do their rated powere which will be 225 x 2 @ 2 ohm. i believe the aa's are 250 each?
The rating on that amp confuse me. They say 225 RMS x 2 @ 2 ohm. Is that referring to have a 2 ohm sub on each channel? Or is that saying I could wire 2 4 ohm subs in parallel and "bridge" the amp at 2 ohms?

I'm just afraid of getting a Profile amp.... especially a refurbbed one. I had a white Profile California amp 4-5 years ago..... it was terrible.

aa = ascendant audio assassins?? They are 55 each right now, straight from AA.

no, i meant the rms rating for the aa's. also if you have 2 subs that is svc 4, you get a total of 2 ohms....i believe there is no other choice, unless u run them seperately at 4 ohms, but why would u want to do that.

He is looking to get two Assasins, soul. If he were to put both of them on a single channel and make that channel do 225 @ 2 Ohms (or 112.5w to each sub) he has a complete other channel going to waste.

If he were to hook them up one per channel and use the 4 Ohm stereo output of that particular amp he'd get 150w per sub. (not that there would be an audible difference in 150 watts as opposed to 112.5 but on a 4 Ohm load per channel the amp would run cooler which is always a good thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif)

low00ranger ~

I have no experience with Profile when the California-labeled units were still stark whie before they went to the cobalt blue finish of the SX-series then the brushed aluminum that they started with the CA-series amps that carried over to the most current AP-series amps.

My personal hands-on experience with Profile started with the SX-series (blue) amps. I owned several of those, a couple of the CA-series amps, and one Clarus amp. Each one of them gave me no problems and were well worth the $$ I gave for them. While I understand your reluctance to buy a refurb at least with the Profile I suggested you have the reassurance of buying from the people that made it to begin with (so ostensibly they would be the most qualified to refurbish it) and it does come with a warranty so if it gives you troubles you'll be able to get it fixed with no out-of-pocket expense.

Certainly Profile isn't the only way to go by far - it was merely a suggestion. I have a tendency to push Profile fairly regularly for people needing wattage on a budget due to my experience with them being good. But it's your money, friend....buy what ya like! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.