Amp for Fi BL 15?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sketchup
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Iowa
I have been trying to decide between a fi bl 15 and another sub, but if I were to get the bl I have no idea for amps. Anyone got any ideas? I would need to be at least 1500watt @ 2ohm. I wouldn't want to spend more than $500 at most on it.

I have heard 2 of my friends 18's at 1 ohm, maybe it was just his setup but I didn't like it too much, what do you recommend at this point then just go with 1. Is there ever a big difference?

The difference between 1 ohms and 2 ohms is almost nothing, especially when you are running a higher powered setup. I guarantee if you had 2 of those 18's running at 1 ohm and running at 2 ohm, assuming the power was the same, you couldn't pick out which was which. Probably a bad box, improperly setup amp, etc. there are so many variables. The only up side to running at a higher impedance is it's not as hard on your electrical system, but at the same time an amp that does 1500w @ 2 ohms is going to cost a lot more than one that does it @ 1 ohm

The difference between 1 ohms and 2 ohms is almost nothing, especially when you are running a higher powered setup. I guarantee if you had 2 of those 18's running at 1 ohm and running at 2 ohm, assuming the power was the same, you couldn't pick out which was which. Probably a bad box, improperly setup amp, etc. there are so many variables. The only up side to running at a higher impedance is it's not as hard on your electrical system, but at the same time an amp that does 1500w @ 2 ohms is going to cost a lot more than one that does it @ 1 ohm
ok I guess one ohm sounds fine then, now that I think of it I think he had them in a sealed box:p: What I am a little confused by though is that on fi website the bl is 1,500watt@2ohm and only a 1000w @ 1ohm.

ok I guess one ohm sounds fine then, now that I think of it I think he had them in a sealed box:p: What I am a little confused by though is that on fi website the bl is 1,500watt@2ohm and only a 1000w @ 1ohm.
Probably just a typo. Fi is almost always swamped and they don't have time to really fix up minor stuff like that on the site. All of the BL's will take 1500w. None of their subs in the same series have different RMS ratings. They all use the same coil, cooling, spiders, etc. Just the cones that are different

Probably just a typo. Fi is almost always swamped and they don't have time to really fix up minor stuff like that on the site. All of the BL's will take 1500w. None of their subs in the same series have different RMS ratings. They all use the same coil, cooling, spiders, etc. Just the cones that are different
lol ok, so what amp would you recommend then for the 15 bl @ 1 ohm then?

lol ok, so what amp would you recommend then for the 15 bl @ 1 ohm then?
Are you planning on getting stuff like the cooling option? If so you could aim for 2k @ 1 ohm if you wanted to, assuming your electrical can handle it (if it cant you can always make the box a little bigger). I'd see if you can pickup a good used amp, like an saz-1500, aq2200, dc 1.2k, etc. All 3 of those will run you around $300 shipped new. I have the AQ and I love mine

Are you planning on getting stuff like the cooling option? If so you could aim for 2k @ 1 ohm if you wanted to, assuming your electrical can handle it (if it cant you can always make the box a little bigger). I'd see if you can pickup a good used amp, like an saz-1500, aq2200, dc 1.2k, etc. All 3 of those will run you around $300 shipped new. I have the AQ and I love mine
I'll check out the AQ, yeah I'm going to try to get cooling, flatwind, and hyperpole on it. After I got home from work yesterday my mom told me I could get my tax return, never had one before. I said so how much cash do I get? $317! wow I'm going to upgrade lol get the BL model instead lol. Otherwise I would have just made all the money by working at taco johns

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.