Amp for Dayton HO

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dex87

Hey guys, now that I've narrowed down my sub search to a single 10" (Dayton HO, dual 4 ohm, sealed box in an '03 Tundra) is there any reason I shouldn't go with one of these amps opposed to some pricier options? Will they basically all perform exactly the same or are any of them better quality than the others?

JBL GTX500 ($110)

RF R500X1D ($118)

Alpine MRV-M500 ($145)

JL JX500 ($174)

MTX THUNDER500.1 ($180)

FWIW I'm going for more SQL than SPL, clearly with a single 10", so I'm just looking for clean, clear 500rms+ @ 2ohms. Thanks in advance.

They are all pretty good options. I think the resale of the JL will be the best, but it's also more expensive now. It's a great amp tho. They will all do what you want so it comes down to your budget.

few peeps here have said the rf is good but see what peeps say that have had the others.. thats sub is like 700rms right?, if u gonna spend more than the $140 get amp like mine (tested at 930rms @2ohm) $169 just set gain low (what i'm doing) u won't feel the need to set gain to high on the 500rms amps and get clipped signal.. we had a guy here said his jl amp wasn't as strong as his old mtx so idk but never thought jl was worth the $ anyway..

Dayton HO 10" is listed at

Power Handling (RMS)600 Watts

Power Handling (max)1200 Watts

I've heard a lot of people compare the JL and Alpine as being pretty similar. Also heard the RF almost always comes with a birth sheet that's typically over 600rms. I'm not sure if it's common for amps to be lower rated than they actually perform but it seems like the RF might give me a little more power. The JBL was just a budget amp I found that looks to compete with the others. I can afford any amp under $200, which I know doesn't give me a ton of options, but I figured one of these might be better than the others.

You could do fine with any of those amplifiers if the power is the primary concern. I used to feel that way until I took an opportunity to begin auditioning amplifiers, then I found pleasing audible differences, even on bass.For a modest price I recommend Zapco ST-850XM 850W Mono Class D Bass Amplifier
Thanks for the input. What audible differences have you noticed with the Zapco or any of the amps I listed? Genuinely curious since I'm pretty new to the mobile audio scene.

few peeps here have said the rf is good but see what peeps say that have had the others.. thats sub is like 700rms right?, if u gonna spend more than the $140 get amp like mine (tested at 930rms @2ohm) $169 just set gain low (what i'm doing) u won't feel the need to set gain to high on the 500rms amps and get clipped signal.. we had a guy here said his jl amp wasn't as strong as his old mtx so idk but never thought jl was worth the $ anyway..
It's not always about getting the most power for the cheapest. Sometimes it is, other times there is more to it than that.

Thanks for the input. What audible differences have you noticed with the Zapco or any of the amps I listed? Genuinely curious since I'm pretty new to the mobile audio scene.
I haven't heard any of the amps you listed. There are hundreds in this category and I can't keep up. What I've heard from comparisons is better control, a feeling of stronger impact, notes are more distinct.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.