Amp delay turn off problem

mk808
10+ year member

When I turn my ignition off, my amp will stay on for about 5 seconds before producing a couple of loud thuds and then sort of fizzles off. Not sure if it is something with my remote turn off lead or a ground. My previous amp that i had installed before this newer one had a thud also but not to this magnitude and it happened immediately after turning off the ignition. My new amp is grounded in the same place my old one was. What does everyone suggest I try?

Are you sure you have your remote wire hooked up the the proper wire in the back of the HU. It almost sounds like you may have it hooked up the the Ignition Hot wire. Re-install your ground, and make sure it is done right. no paint, good conection, and so on.

I've tried a new ground location on the other side of my trunk but still the same thing.

Now that I think back, my brother said he might have shorted my remote wire by dasiy chaining 3 devices so he tapped in to the ACC wire. He's pretty literate when it comes to a car's electrical system so I dont doubt he tapped in to the wrong wire. I believe this should have been ok? If that's the problem, is there another wire I can tap in to?

yeah, tried that already. Although, i havent used a multimeter or anything. The remote wire was working until my brother tried to chain 3 devices up. then, when we tried to put it back how it was, it wouldnt power the sub amp anymore.

No, i only have had one amp connected to the remote since then.

K, just came back from checking my HU wiring and found that the remote wire does indeed work! Connected it up but still have the same problem. Then I decided to change the HU ground location. That didnt solve anything either. (As a side note, it suprised me that the HU still could power on when I didnt have the ground connected at all! I'm sure it was the right ground wire too as I followed it back to my HU wiring harness).

As I was playing with the remote wire, I also found that when I manually disconnect it from my amp as it's playing music, it still plays for about 8 seconds before shutting off (no popping sound). It also doesnt pop when I disconnect the RCA wires. What do you guys make of this??

I have only seen that type of problem with cheaper amps. That amp is far from being a cheap model.

mine does not pop when I disconnect the RCA . I would not do that to much, as it may damage your system.

Okay, after making several calls and such, i was told that these hifonics amps has an internal capacitor that is set to turn off the amp after 15 seconds with no power... this solves that mystery (but what is this feature for???).

About the pop, still no solution. I've searched through numerous forums and have concluded that it is something with my RCAs/HU. I've read that adding a delay will help, but with this amp, i dont think it will work.

If popping (in my situation at least) comes from residual signal in the RCA as the HU turns off before my amp, I doubt there is any delay device I can wire in that will delay it by 15+ seconds to outlast my amps built in turn off delay.

Is there any other solution for me other than a manual toggle switch on the remote lead? Maybe something i can try with the RCAs?

So where is the positive voltage on your amp comming from? Seems to me like you power your amp with a switched positive wire. I've had the problem you describe when my + wire was not connected secure enough to my amp and fel of while powered on. This leaves it playing for a very short time of the power still in the internal capacitors of the amp. Make sure the + is connected directly to the battery (allways reading +12V when the key is in and out of the ignition) - on a good ground and the remote is the switched one comming from your HU not the switched one from the ignition. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Mind_ln: The positive is coming directly from my battery. I've made sure all connections (battery post and amp + terminal) are tight and secure. Remote turn on wire is coming directly from rem wire from HU and not ACC wire.

Could it be possible that running the remote wire along next to my power wire could cause the remote wire to have some residual current running through it for a short while as it's turned off? It almost seems like when the the amp does eventually power off, it sort of fizzles/fades out rather than clicking off cleanly, which could mean that the voltage was dropping slowly in the remote. Maybe tonight i'll try running a new remote wire that is far away from the power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.