Amp Cuts Out

Participant count
  • Participant list

maddog1927

So I just installed a Infinity Kappa 5 in my ’06 Dodge Quad cab. I am having troubles with it “cutting out”. It occurs at high volume, also at lower volume when the sound is abrupt, like songs that have an abrupt intro.

Thing I have checked out:

Heat: Happens regardless of the amp temp.

Ground: Used Jumper cables directly to the battery.

Power: I have ran 0 gauge power, and ground. It is hooked to 2ea. optima red tops. I have not double checked the power using a jumper cable.

Speaker wiring: I have used new wire appropriately or oversized to the speakers, I have not tied into any OEM wiring past the amp.

Speakers / wiring: Is there a test like an ohm test to check to see if there is a speaker/wiring problem? How do I do it?

Compatibility: I am running the stock stereo, with a Scosche SLC4 Speaker Level Input converter, Infinity Kappa 5 amp, 10” punch 1, Infinity 6 x 9 front door speakers, and infinity rear door speakers I can get the model numbers later.

Do you see any compatibility issues?

The previous amp was an el cheapo profile, It quit after 3 years of hard service.

Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated.

DMM ? what is that?
It came to me ... Digital Multi Meter ...

I am thinking that my problem has something to do with wusing the factory head unit and the line converter. Seem to remember having similar trouble years ago, had to turn the gain on the converter way down. Turned it down as far as I could and it helped, but not fixed. Later today I am going to hook link amp to pre amp output on another truck.. looks like a nuew HU (aftermarket) is in the works

Yeah get a DMM and start checking voltage everywhere. Their cheap, paid 20 bucks for mine at Lowes...the number one rule for self installers...DMM ftw

I changed out the factory head unit to one that has pre amp outs ( I was going to anyway) but the problem persisted. I got a DMM, no drop on either the main power or the amp remote. I also connected a jumper cable to the negative directly to the battery.

I have isolated the problem to the 2 front speakers by doing the following tests:

Disconnected the front channel RCA’s at the amp: Result: Good

Reconnected left and right (individually) front channel RCA to the Amp: Result: Cut out

Front and back channel RCA’s backwards (front to back, back to front): Result: Cut out

Front RCA’s to back channel, back RCA’s / front channels disconnected: Result Good

Disconnect front channel speaker wires from the amp (RCA’s connected): Result: Good

Connected rear channel speaker wires to front channels: Result: Good

Connected front channel speaker wires to back channels: Result: Cut out

The common denominator here is that when ever the front speaker wires are connected anywhere, the amp cuts out. (Unless the corresponding RCA is not connected)

So I think it is safe to say that the problem is with the front speakers or wiring to them. I do not suspect the wiring. I rewired and had the same results (originally fed via OEM wiring, now feed directly with new wires)

How do I test the speakers?

I did an Ohm test (speaker wires connected to the amp, system shut down)

Results

LF 3

RF 3

LR 3

RR 3

Sub 4

Any thoughts, ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.