Amp Advice needed for single sub in F150

tmilicia

Hey guys,

I'll first start out by saying that I'm not looking to win any sound competitions, I'm just wanting to add a nice bit of sound to my factory F150 system. Its a 2012 F150 FX4 SuperCrew with the Factory "Sony" Nav unit & sub. Well, of course the sub ***** and I want to improve on it. There's no replacing the head unit, as the climate controls and such is integrated with it.

I have an older Alpine 10" Type-r (DVC 4+4) sitting in the closet that I want to utilize. I'll probably be putting it in a Fox Acoustics single 10" vented enclosure (1.25cuft. tuned to 36hz?). I used to run this sub with a RF Power 200a1 amp, but I want a bit more power now. I'll be tapping the factory system with an AudioControl LC2i to get the signal for the new amp and to correct the horrible bass run-off from the factory amp.

Anyways, onto my question / dilemma... I'm looking at the Alpine MRX-M55 , JL Audio JX500/1D or the Kicker DX1000.1 to power this single sub at 2 ohms. I'm thinking the Kicker may be more than I really need, but I could be wrong??. The Alpine and JL are pretty comparable spec, price & size wise. What would the better choice be? I looked at the Audiopipes too, but they seem large and I'd like to keep the physical size a bit smaller. Your advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. I've been out of car audio for a long time.

I'm not familiar with the American Bass brand, but from what I've read on here so far people seem to like their amps. Their website says the VFL 1180 puts out 900w RMS x1 at 1 ohm. I'll be running my Alpine Type-r at 2 ohms, what kind of output should I expect from the amp with that load?

Thanks for the recommendation!

The Boston Acoustics one looks pretty good, but the Cadence amp is a bit on the large size. I used to have a Cadence amp way back in the day that I loved, but it finally gave out after about 10 years of use.

So far, what I'm gathering is that nobody really likes my 3 original amp choices that I listed??

The Boston Acoustics one looks pretty good, but the Cadence amp is a bit on the large size. I used to have a Cadence amp way back in the day that I loved, but it finally gave out after about 10 years of use.
So far, what I'm gathering is that nobody really likes my 3 original amp choices that I listed??
whats your max size

and budget

the ba is going to be hard to beat for the price

I like that PPI. I have a bit more info on my sub. Like I said, it's an older Type-r (SWR-1041d). I looked it up and it's only rated at 300w RMS / 1000w peak. Should I try to stick with a lower rated RMS amp for this sub or will something like the PPI be ok turned down? I can't say that I'd be against upgrading the sub sometime down the line.

If you are upgrading the sub later the ppi can't be beat. So you v can get a nice beafy d2 sub later. Hit up @trumpet ; auth dealer on here and same price. Id rather buy from him

I like that PPI. I have a bit more info on my sub. Like I said, it's an older Type-r (SWR-1041d). I looked it up and it's only rated at 300w RMS / 1000w peak. Should I try to stick with a lower rated RMS amp for this sub or will something like the PPI be ok turned down? I can't say that I'd be against upgrading the sub sometime down the line.
With your sub on a P1000.1 you'd be wiring it for 2 Ohms, which puts it at the 725W RMS power rating. It won't get that much power unless you push your system very hard, plus to an extent you can protect it by keeping the gain low. A new sub that can handle the power more safely wouldn't have to cost a lot of money, and you could get a custom box to step it up even more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.