Am I "wasting" money on these speakers? Or investing well?

HardcoreBob

Senior VIP Member
Dallas
I know that's a dumb, completely subjective to opinion, budget etc. etc...

BUT WHEN YOUR ABOUT TO SHELL OUT A HALF A GRAND[emoji51]

It helps to have some peers either say "yeah, it's worth it" or

"HEY slow your row there's better options!"

I already know most of you are CERTAIN I'm wasting money, because I am, I'm buying components and paying for crossovers I don't need....

But other than that, I'm looking at $529 C5 JL Audio components... they max out at I believe 225-250 watts...

I could pay more than a $100 less for JLs that max out at 150 watts...

I don't have the experience to know if 150 max watts is all I need...

Does any quality differences come with the differences in max watts?

I do plan to go active, but that's down the road.

Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm getting with $500 plus set, over a good quality $250-$300 set

AND, is JLs reputation still solid, or did they start making crap somewhere along the way like fosgate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He isn't an anything expert but keeps opening his mouth when he shouldn't...

Surprised he hasn't suggested his amp to OP yet by now...

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

ok either way i'd look at something besides jl. i'm sure he can get something as good or better for less $
Have you EVER ran components? NO? So why comment??

I have the C5's components in my CRV and love them. To my ears they are great. I didn't pay msrp...ask your shop to do better or go shopping around.

Generally the major brands have similar sounding speakers in similar sound ranges...big differences can be some types of materials...I prefer silk tweeters to metal tweeters...You just aren't going to find big differences between price ranges but as you spend less you get less and as you drop in value you hit a point where you can hear the difference even on the shop's "wall o sound"...once you can hear the difference and don't like what you hear you have to move up then make your decision. Or you don't have the budget or desire to spend and go with a speaker that sounds "good enough". They may or may sound better in your vehicle.

It's nearly impossible to audition higher end speakers. Many higher end speakers seem to be available only online so unless you buy them you have no idea how they will sound with your system, in your vehicle and to your ears.

None of this "stuff" is an "investment"...you buy what you want to provide the experience you are hoping for...value degrades every day except for a very limited bit of kit.

Most good shops have speakers you can compare...bring your smart phone, usb, etc. and audition some favorite music to get an idea on how it will sound. But all you are getting is an idea...

Isn't it fun to ask for advice and get only "buy these", "don't buy ... because they s uck", etc. then get to read the usual suspects a ss f u cking each other...sigh...

Good luck and keep us informed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

HardcoreBob

Senior VIP Member
HardcoreBob
Dallas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from