Altima Coupe - Infinity/Focal Mixing Brands?

tjman84

Hello, First post

I have a 2008 Coupe. I'm looking to upgrade stock system. I like the DEH line from pioneer, think Ill do that line for the HU.

My problem is the car takes 3.5" in the dash firing at the windshield, 5.25 in the doors and 6x9's in the back. I really like focal, as a home theater guy I've heard them in other products and it blew me away. They don't seem to have a 3.5" speaker however. Everything else I can find easy...

I'm aware that mixing can lead to inconsistent frequency response etc. Are kappas for 3.5 close enough to match focals for everything else? Do I "need" to replace 3.5's in my dash or can I use another product or coaxials in the doors and forget the dash?

I'm a home stereo enthusiast, I enjoy soundstage and imaging etc. Trying to replicate that

I would try to stick to all the same speakers,they will be better "voice matched"..

hybrid audio is Nice and they make a 3" that almost plays full range.

Don't think I would match infinity with focal.

I have a 06 altima, no dash openings,but a dynaudio mid and tweet in the kicks,and almost a 9" woofer in the door.check my avitar.

Do you plan to do a sub?if so I wouldn't worry about the 6x9s...if no sub,find some 6x9 woofers or subwoofer.

That way you can have some bass and all the staging and imaging up front.

Hello, First post
I have a 2008 Coupe. I'm looking to upgrade stock system. I like the DEH line from pioneer, think Ill do that line for the HU.

My problem is the car takes 3.5" in the dash firing at the windshield, 5.25 in the doors and 6x9's in the back. I really like focal, as a home theater guy I've heard them in other products and it blew me away. They don't seem to have a 3.5" speaker however. Everything else I can find easy...

I'm aware that mixing can lead to inconsistent frequency response etc. Are kappas for 3.5 close enough to match focals for everything else? Do I "need" to replace 3.5's in my dash or can I use another product or coaxials in the doors and forget the dash?

I'm a home stereo enthusiast, I enjoy soundstage and imaging etc. Trying to replicate that
You don't need the dash speakers to get good staging and imaging, but since you have that option from the factory I definitely recommend you replace those speakers as well. Since you like Pioneer I recommend the DEH-80PRS with dash speakers, woofers in the front doors, and a subwoofer or two.

Here's a tight setup that will have a lot of potential once you get it all installed and start tuning. Tuning for a car has some similarities to home audio, but it's also quite different. We can get into that more later.

Midrange and Treble - 3" mids in the dash with adapters, imaging tweeters to fill in up to 20 kHz

Midbass - 6.7" woofers in the doors, sound deadening treatments to maximize output and clarity

Bass - 6x9 subwoofer pair in the rear deck

The dash mids and the tweeters will need to be run together on passive crossovers so they only need 2 amplifier channels instead of 4. Using 3.5" coaxials will simplify this but they have to be a different brand than the midbass woofers.

Using 6x9 subwoofers means you don't have to put a big box in the trunk.

Just because there is a space for 3.5 inch speaker, you don't have to install a speaker of that size. If you want to go with Focal comps, make a bracket from plywood or similar and install the tweeter you like in the 3.5 space.

get a 6.5" comp set, make baffles to fit the mids in the doors and tweeters in the dash. If you decide you need a sub as mentioned 6x9 subs in rear deck or a single sub in the trunk which won't take up much room as I'm assuming you're not a basshead...

I recommend the DEH-80PRS with dash speakers, woofers in the front doors, and a subwoofer or two.
I ordered the 80prs before reading your post! Everything needed but the steering wheel controls comes by Friday.

get a 6.5" comp set, make baffles to fit the mids in the doors and tweeters in the dash. If you decide you need a sub as mentioned 6x9 subs in rear deck or a single sub in the trunk which won't take up much room as I'm assuming you're not a basshead...
I think I will, I just have heard bouncing off the windshield is havoc for great imaging etc. From the little I've read it appears recessed/angled tweeters can do a better job in dash and I did see that slick Audi motorized/popup tweeter for the dash from B&O, 3.5k for Tweeters is a bit much though :\

I think I will, I just have heard bouncing off the windshield is havoc for great imaging etc. From the little I've read it appears recessed/angled tweeters can do a better job in dash and I did see that slick Audi motorized/popup tweeter for the dash from B&O, 3.5k for Tweeters is a bit much though :\
What some people think sounds chaotic or poor might sound fine to your ears in your vehicle. If you place tweeters in your dash firing up you're only going to hear the reflected sound, which is fine. The sound gets messier when we hear both the incident sound and the reflected sounds, which at high frequencies all seem to arrive at the same time so we perceive it as multiple sources of the same sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.