Alt upgrade: worth it?

I would still try to reach Excessive man. I could think of a million things to do with $350.00. I would say recase it, and give it a shot. You may not even need the extra output after installation bro.

I currently have a DC Power 270XP. I could upgrade to a 370XP for $350. Is it worth it? Will be running a DC 5.0k and a Zed Levi III, with a d3400 under the good and two d3100's in back.
IMO. you should be pretty good from the looks. I mean i have the mojo 4kw and and only a 220a alt, a duralast gold under hood, and 3 deka unigy(105ah each) and your electrical seems better then mine. i think you should take that and put toward something more useful

IMO. you should be pretty good from the looks. I mean i have the mojo 4kw and and only a 220a alt, a duralast gold under hood, and 3 deka unigy(105ah each) and your electrical seems better then mine. i think you should take that and put toward something more useful
Well if stuck with my 270XP I would run two D3100's in the back, but if I went with the bigger alt I think I could get away with only one d3100 in the back, so it would end up being the same cost in the end.

Well if stuck with my 270XP I would run two D3100's in the back, but if I went with the bigger alt I think I could get away with only one d3100 in the back, so it would end up being the same cost in the end.
well in that case its your personal preference. i thought you were saying ""you already had the dc 270 and the batts, but was thinking about upgrading alt and dropping a batt"". i guess i misread.

well in that case its your personal preference. i thought you were saying ""you already had the dc 270 and the batts, but was thinking about upgrading alt and dropping a batt"". i guess i misread.
Maybe I typed it weird. Only thing I have now is the 270XP. No batts at all.

If your keeping the car for a while, I'd rather have the bigger alt over an extra bat. I think 100 extra amps @ 14+ volts is more valuable than 100 ah @ ~12.8 volts. Just remember, your going to lose output at idle by swapping to the bigger alt.

If your keeping the car for a while, I'd rather have the bigger alt over an extra bat. I think 100 extra amps @ 14+ volts is more valuable than 100 ah @ ~12.8 volts. Just remember, your going to lose output at idle by swapping to the bigger alt.
Yeah, at warm idle the 270XP is 180A, the 370XP is 190A.

So, decided to go with Sears Diehard Platinum batteries. Will save me money. So, new choices:

DC Power 270XP

Diehard Platinum G34

Diehard Platinum G31 x3

or

DC Power 370XP

Diehard Platinum G34

Diehard Platinum G31 x2

option 1 is fine for the power level you have. 270xp is a strong alt and 2-3 G31 dekas/platinums will be fine. save your xs money for better things IMO...

option 1 is fine for the power level you have. 270xp is a strong alt and 2-3 G31 dekas/platinums will be fine. save your xs money for better things IMO...
Well that money saved will either be spent on the alt upgrade or another G31, more than likely.

DC Power 270XP

Diehard Platinum G34

Diehard Platinum G31 x2

Advantage: Cost savings

or

DC Power 270XP

Diehard Platinum G34

Diehard Platinum G31 x3

Advantage: Extra G31

or

DC Power 370XP

Diehard Platinum G34

Diehard Platinum G31 x2

Advantage: 100A bigger alternator

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.