Alpine IVA-W505 Review (56k, take a nap)

Participant count
  • Participant list

bikinpunk
10+ year member

G-g-g-g-g-unity!
Alabama
First impressions:

Connections:

This unit is unlike the previous w200/w205 in that it has 'extensions' for cables to plug into rather than have your cables plug directly into the back. The ai-net, antenna, and RCA input outputs are like this. The navigation wires are made into the unit.

My favorite part about all this is that the RCA's are in their own harness. Therefore if you don't want to use the RCA outputs you don't have to plug them into the unit. If you want to use the RCA inputs, you can leave them in. Vice versa.

This time Alpine's included an S-video connection as well.

The harness is the same as w205/w200. Also, the pac-tr7 bypass works. In my case, I made a straight swap with the w205 harness which already had the tr7 wired into it.

The big drawback to this unit (and the only one I've come across thus far) is the fact that this unit no longer has a standard toslink input for optical signals. Rather, Alpine has incorporated a 4-pin connection so that you will have to use their KWE-610a cable; a 4-pin connector on one end, and a standard male toslink on the other. Luckily, Quality Sound here did some digging and found a cable that will work, and another forum member here has verified it does indeed work. It's made by Panasonic and the model # is: CA-LRD60. You can pick them up on e-bay for $100, or you can find them from an online seller for $65 shipped (this is the route I chose).

I must say that, at least with my system, there's no distinguishable 'noise' via ai-net so for some people, the optical cable may not be worth it. Heck, I'm not too sure I need it, but I bought it... *shrugs*

The w505 comes with the iPod video cable/USB cable; the ipod portion is just an extension cable that plugs into the USB cable. More discussion of this is in the iPod section.

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

Aesthetics:

The w505 has a full 7” widescreen, unlike the w205's 6.5" screen. The difference is very noticeable and it makes things a bit easier to navigate on screen. There are no raised buttons like on w200/w205, rather the buttons are blended into the bottom bar. I believe they also have the same outer dimensions, but trimmed edges.

The resolution is much higher: 1.15 megapixels which is the same as the F#1 units, IIRC. There are 2 “styles” the user can choose from. It's hard to describe these but you can see pictures of it below. One has a lot more going on in the screen; you can see upcoming songs and more song info but also has album art/ipod logo. The other is a simple black background with the ipod/album art logo.

Downloadable background:

Like the previous units, you can change your background of the w505 via downlaods from the I-personalize site (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/bikinpunk/civic%20install/w505/IMG_2315.jpg[/img]"]link), and pride-rock.com (link).

I got my "team hybrids" background from here. *let me say that I am not on Team Hybrids... I just downloaded it to take a picture for Doiter and haven't bothered to remove it* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The DVD/CD source is the only time you'll see the downloaded backgrounds, though.

Another little feature I like is that you can have the subwoofer level option on front of screen. It's a little speaker, and when you touch it you get the option to control the sub's level. Kinda neat.

Also, the w505 has an "escape" button where you can go back to the main screen if you're in the options somewhere and want to get back without having to go through pushing extra buttons to back out.

This time around Alpine took out the "pulsetouch" feature. Though it did take some getting used to, all is well. I can't really complain about not having that.

Ipod Controls:

Connections:

USB:
The USB cable will control:
  • 5th Gen iPod
  • 1st & 2nd generation iPod nano

*Per the Alpine manual: Only video can be played via the USB connection.* Also the only way to see album art is via the iPod USB connection.

KCA-422i:
This is the same ol'. You cannot view album art, nor watch movies via this connection.

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

USB Controls:

The USB connection will play only songs via USB. No movies, cannot view pictures, etc. I don't know if alpine specifies a capacity that can be connected but I doubt they have one due to one thing: 'banking'.

Banking is a process that sorts up to 10,000 songs so they can be found easily. 10 Banks of 1000 songs each. Sorted via song # on usb connected device. The USB connection is VERY fast. As soon as the thumb drive is connected my music popped up immediately.

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

H701 controls.:

The w505 has the same GUI as w205. No graphs; letters/numbers only. This has been covered plenty so I'm not going to discuss it.

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

DVD Playback:

Movies look much nicer with this unit than the w200/205. There's a feature called 'L.L.C'. Haven't bothered to see what it means, but it appears to be some kind of dimming feature. You choose this option to change the visuals, as well. The options are pretty much the same as any other Alpine DVD unit.

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

(Bourne Ultimatum FTW!)

CD Controls:

obviously the same functions here. Though, I want to comment and say that changing tracks is faster. You can skip ahead multiple tracks without any lag.

Other features that I can't comment on but am noting:

Imprint & H100 direct connection.

Sirius/XM:

DIVX playback:

HD "tagging". *taken from Alpine's site*:

The IVA-W505 is one of two 2008 Alpine in-dash head units that feature iTunes® Tagging in collaboration with HD Radio, which makes it easy for listeners to discover and catalog new music they hear while driving. When the Alpine TUA-T550HD HD Radio Tuner is connected (sold separately), consumers simply press a button on the IVA-W505 when they hear a song they like from an HD Radio station that is broadcasting metadata. Information about these Tagged songs is stored by the TUA-T550HD and transferred to the iPod. When the iPod is connected to the computer, iTunes automatically presents the songs in a new Tagged playlist so the user can preview, buy and download the Tagged songs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

bikinpunk

10+ year member
G-g-g-g-g-unity!
bikinpunk
Alabama
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies