Alpine IVA-C800 install into Chevy Silverado

sidthewildkid

I am planning on installing an Alpine IVA-C800 unit into my 2000 Silverado. My main reason for installing it is because I would love to watch DVDs. I already know my console is large enough to custom fit a Playstation 2 because I found someone who's already done it.

Here's my main question. Are you able to play your DVDs on the Playstation 2 and watch them thru the Alpine monitor? The reason why I'm asking this is because I've found many people who have both a PS2 and an Alpine DVD player installed (DVA 5200 for example). If the DVDs play fine on PS2, then I think it's a real waste of money to buy a whole other DVD player. I've noticed that used PS2's can cost a little under a $100, while an Alpine DVD player can easily be $200 used. That's why I wanna set up my system like this. Does my idea sound good? Please reply with comments or suggestions. Thanks

i can't see any reason why it shouldn't work. the only thing i can think of is that using a ps2 to watch dvd's can be somewhat of a pain. i used mine for a while as a dvd player, even got the remote and everything. but it just doesn't have the features and ease of use that a dedicated dvd player gives you.

Here's another idea I have had. Earlier I was debating about whether I should get a GPS system or movie player installed. Maybe I can have both. I know Alpine sells a GPS unit with a DVD reader for the mapping disc. Can this DVD drive also play DVD movies? If it doesn't can anyone tell me of other brands that support both data DVD and video DVD?

you can use any source you want to play movies....anything with a set of RCA outs on it, my 1005 has 2 Aux in's on it, i have a 6 disc Alpine DVD changer into one and had an n-64 into the other....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.