Alpine 9887, or Pioneer 880prs

• Alpine 9887

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Pioneer 880prs

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Something else, post your pick.

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
I have extensive use with Pioneer and Alpine. I've owned more Pioneer than Alpine, but Alpine is superior when it comes to SQ hands down! Pioneer will have to get some different engineers to compete with Alpine. I don't care if it has a 40 band eq, it still doesn't sound better. The poll speaks for itself. I'm one of the hardest dudes in the world, but I might shed a tear if Alpine goes out of business or sells it to Hifonics.
OMG. Well folks, there you have it.....the definitive word. Pioneer ***** and can't touch Alpine or Eclipse or Clarion.

Sony made the first CD player and you say Pioneer had time correction first. Alpine perfected both. I think the time corr. ***** on the Pioneer, but it works perfect on the Alpine. The only thing I hate about the 9887 is the face is not motorized. Eclipse and Clarion might be Alpines only competition.
So what does Sony making the first CD player have to do with time alignment?? And what is so different about Pioneer's TA compared to others?? I'm very interested to hear the answer.

A few years back a had Pioneer with a 13 band eq and a million backgrounds. I ran into a guy with a bottom of the line 5V Eclipse with just a bass and treble settings. Before he let me hear it, he was running his mouth like his lips had legs. I was running my mouth too. To make a long story short that Eclipse killed my pimped out Pioneer.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif:hilariou://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif I love this paragraph. So insightful.

lol..... lets just put it this way.....

it's like canon and nikon d slr camera's, one has a little better iso capabilities and one uses cmos and the other ccd.... nikon has mastered flash systems where canon is still legging a bit... they both run high mpx's, have multi lense acc( ie ext tuning ) and both will produce world class photo's....

it's like alpine and pioneer, both will perform tremedously, and i have owned both and currently run the 9887...

instead of which is better, cause u will never find the answer, look at what you need in terms of functions and capabilities according to budget and see what fits ur role....

What I do is buy one of them from a shop you can take it back to. Try it out then take it back and get the other. Try them both for yourself, thats the only way you will get what you are looking for.

hmmm seems like its mostly what people own is what you should get. i do have to agree with alpha on thi sone. its all about what you need. but i do have to say as far as the tuning goes for the alpine, im pretty sure that the 9887 is a controller for the 701. and it also has the new imprint feature where you place a mic in the car and it reads all the accustics and everything, pretty neat feature. have played to much with the 880prs but i hear it is a great unit. either way you wont be dissapointed. i do own the 9887 and love it compares to the 9861 i had but more features, just no optical out. and close to the 8443 but the sound quality is close but not quite the same (8v vs 4v)
pio has had that feature since the 860, however, on all the units i've used it on, pio/alpine, it never can compare to the job you can do by ear

I have the 880 right now but want to get the 9887 because of bluetooth.
Bluetooth is 150 bucks for the adapter //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

pio has had that feature since the 860, however, on all the units i've used it on, pio/alpine, it never can compare to the job you can do by ear

yeah it does have the built in mic but at the position it is at it cant possibly find all the accustical attributes and everything. while the alpine can be put anywhere in the car. now dont get me wrong pioneer makes great units and im not saying get the alpine over the pioneer. just go out and play with them see what you like better, either way you wont be dissapointed.

I plan on tuning the 880 by ear since that's what I listen with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Should be arriving tomorrow...

yeah it does have the built in mic but at the position it is at it cant possibly find all the accustical attributes and everything. while the alpine can be put anywhere in the car. now dont get me wrong pioneer makes great units and im not saying get the alpine over the pioneer. just go out and play with them see what you like better, either way you wont be dissapointed.
what do you mean at the position its in? The mic is on a cord and you can position it anywhere. I have had both the 860 and 880 and yet I still keep my 9835. I didnt like the auto eq stuff. I tried it on both decks and wasnt impressed. That said maybe my taste wasnt the same as what pioneer thought it should be. I have found the biggest thing is the install. I only use 2 of the 5 bands of EQ for my system. When looking at these 2 decks the EQ is about the only difference in the processing, without buying more equipment. I am not saying buy one over the other because they are both good decks. And this thing about the pioneers having issues I dont understand. I had 2- 860s and an 880 and never had one problem. I just preferred my 9835 to them.

You must be a special ed kid. It was very insightful. Those are facts, not opinion about the time alingment. I stated that Pioneer was good stuff and Alpines are far superior to Sony cd players. Can you prove me wrong? I might have been a little hard on Pioneer about the time corr. , but I've sat in my car adjusting the time corr/alingment for many hours. I gave the guy the best advice by telling him to demo both. There are others in this post saying almost the same thing I am and the poll supports me too. I still use a Pioneer in another car I have and it's not even close to any of the Alpines I've owned. I owned 3 Clarions, 6 Pioneers, 2 Panasonics,1 Jvc, 4 Alpines, 3 Kenwoods, 2 Sonys, Jensen, Valor, and 1 Rockford Head unit to give an idea of my experience. I begging you to prove me wrong adam?

That guy is right about those cameras too. A lot of people will tell you that there isn't much difference between brands if they have the same have the same megapixels, but it's not true. There's a website with pics to prove it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...