Alpine CDA-9853, PROBLEMS!!! NEED SOLUTIONS!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

DeathAtSundown
10+ year member

Alright everybody, this is my first post here at caraudio.com's forum. I recently decided that I wanted to stay with an alpine unit as the one I was currently using was an Alpine. I had an old CDA-9807, nothing fancy. Well the **** Subwoofer Jacks came loose because you could wiggle the Jacks in the back and you hear one or both of the subwoofers cut in and and out. Well I wanted to upgrade my head unit anyway. I've been eyeballing some of these more fancier Alpine units, however they're a little dated. (I hate the look of the new units) I went with an Alpine CDA-9853, **** THING WAS GREAT the first day I had it hooked up. NOW I've got problems with it and I'm half way tempted to throw it in the trash. I spent 150$ for this unit about 2 weeks ago (from todays posting date)

So here is what I'm experiencing.

Unit will turn it self off and right back on, this happens when being played at a higher volume, 18 on the volume reader seems to be the limit, after 18 which I would go to 20 would be too much and the unit will go completely blank, shut it self off, and turn it self back on but the volume will be at 0 when it's turned back on.

You would think with a newer type of unit the anti-shock or anti-skip funtion would be worth mentioning, this head unit is complete dog **** in that department. My old CDA-9807 I could take out and shake and it would barely skip. HENCE -

- Problem number 2. This unit skips at the most SMALLEST of bumps in the road, even man holes. It REALLY takes away from being able to enjoy the unit.

I'm posting these problems in the slight chance someone else may have experienced this or may know of a fix for it, or if Alpine can fix it.

Really don't want to have to get rid of this unit to be brutally honest here. It's in excellent cosmetic condition. PLEASE HELP!!

Never had issues with those decks skipping and I ran mine just laying in the dash of my 1986 chevette. I live in ohio where they pave the roads every 20 years too. If mine didnt skip then there is somethign wrong with yours. also I would just tell you to run a 4ch amp instead of the internal amp on the deck as they sound like poo anyhow.

I am supposed to be getting a 9855 today or tomorrow and I also have a 9886 I would sell for like 155 shipped.

I had a 9853 a while ago. I'd say your issue with it shutting off is a poor ground somewhere. I'd check the ground wire for the radio and if that seems good, maybe move it to somewhere else. As far as skipping, I had mine in my Caprice for a year and I never had any issues with it. My Caprice, however, is like driving on air. The ride is super smooth. I then moved it to my Jimmy after a while and I had no issues with it in there. My Jimmy had the ZM6 off road suspension so it was kind of stiff. I sold it on here a couple of years ago and I haven't heard anything back about it performing abnormally. I also run a 9855 (I'm sure that's the same CD mechanism in there as the 9853) and I had no issues with that in my Caprice, Jimmy, or my Jeep now.

It's completely stumping me, I don't know where to look or what to do, the connections on the back of the radio are twisted and heat shrinked then the enter tail from the radio is wound together with black electrical tape, HOWEVER I did NOT cover 3 of the wire ends because I wasn't going to be using them, The Orange-ish Illumination wire, Power antennae (I don't have a wire connected for the radio input), and lastly a pink wire called Audio Interrupt for maybe an incar-phone?

mine skips too. I have the same unit and it is super sensitive. I went and added a little foam to support it. It is not too terrible anymore, but i do not believe those who said their 9853 didnt skip easily.

I just listed my CDA-9807 for sale locally, I didn't want to bring my used items directly up for sale on my first day joining. Kinda makes me look as thought I only got on to sell my junk and solve my issues.

mine skips too. I have the same unit and it is super sensitive. I went and added a little foam to support it. It is not too terrible anymore, but i do not believe those who said their 9853 didnt skip easily.
Believe it. In my 2 vehicles and when I had it in my brother's Lumina, there were no skipping issues with it. I think I may have made it skip once with it in my Jimmy when I hit a bump that made me go down to the bump stops. I think all CD players would skip under those circumstances.

Also, GLWS on that 9807. I have a 9807 in my brother's car right now. There's nothing else in there, he just wanted a CD player so I installed that in there for him. I also had a 9827 (the 2004 version of the 9807). Those were pretty decent units, basic but they still had 4 volt pre outs and some tuning options.

Believe it. In my 2 vehicles and when I had it in my brother's Lumina, there were no skipping issues with it. I think I may have made it skip once with it in my Jimmy when I hit a bump that made me go down to the bump stops. I think all CD players would skip under those circumstances.
Also, GLWS on that 9807. I have a 9807 in my brother's car right now. There's nothing else in there, he just wanted a CD player so I installed that in there for him. I also had a 9827 (the 2004 version of the 9807). Those were pretty decent units, basic but they still had 4 volt pre outs and some tuning options.
so you think i could possibly get it fixed to where it will not skip? It's not a big enough problem ATM but if something else goes wrong, the skip protection may be able to be fixed?

According to what you said, Alpine said they'll make it play like it's new. I'd imagine they warranty their work in one way or another. If something goes out on in under the repair warranty, they should fix that too for you then for nothing. I'd argue them until I got my way.

Alpine says if it's not something completely abnormal it should take 7-10 Business Days MAXIMUM to get it fixed.
they really do have a fast turn around time. I sent them my Alpine w200 and had it back within a week. They replaced the cd transport and put a new optical out in the deck

which by the way, your skipping sounds like you need a new transport. and the deck shutting off is probably a bad ground.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.