alpine cda-9835 VS. eclipse cd8454

Green_slip, if you have compared both of these units, then please, provide some documentation other than what you "think" sounds better. What you 'think' sounds 'good' or has 'better SQ' might not sound 'good' to someone else, those are all subjective statements. These statements dont help anyone without them hearing for themselves and making their own judgement
Read my post to clearly see that I made an effort to give MY own opinion on the two decks. Of course my statements are subjective, so is everyone else's in this thread. Most of us don't have time to sit down for a day and document everything we test between two h/u's. Also, as he said in one of his earlier posts, he just wants some opinions on why the specs of one deck are better than the other. I clearly gave him my honestly opinion on both decks (although I didn't go into great detail on the specs of each). Have a nice day.

Read my post to clearly see that I made an effort to give MY own opinion on the two decks. Of course my statements are subjective, so is everyone else's in this thread. Most of us don't have time to sit down for a day and document everything we test between two h/u's. Also, as he said in one of his earlier posts, he just wants some opinions on why the specs of one deck are better than the other. I clearly gave him my honestly opinion on both decks (although I didn't go into great detail on the specs of each). Have a nice day.
You still missed the point but I hope you have a nice day too.

dumb^^^^^^ eclipse is better period......i got to play/listen to the eclipse deck and the alpine deck, the eclipse in my eyes looks better than the alpine. eclipse will always have better quality sound.....if u plug them up to speakers head unit vs headunit on the same speakers......Sound Quality is Sound Quality is Sound Quality....it doesnt matter what ears hear it, if it sounds better on the speakers the guy loves......the HU will sound better in that area...if u plug it up to some silks....a guy that loves silks will pick the eclipse over alpine....a guy that likes metals will pick the eclipse over the alpine. thats how i see it.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I just recently acquired and installed an Eclipse 8454. Looks great and plays mostly fine. I'm having lots of problems getting the HU to play WMAs. I download WMAs from Musicmatch.com. I then burn these to CDs which the HU should be able to play. Anyone have any suggestions or have similar problems playing WMAs??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all,I'm new to this forum. I just recently acquired and installed an Eclipse 8454. Looks great and plays mostly fine. I'm having lots of problems getting the HU to play WMAs. I download WMAs from Musicmatch.com. I then burn these to CDs which the HU should be able to play. Anyone have any suggestions or have similar problems playing WMAs??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
make a new thread in the h/u section //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Jackson,

I too have the 8443. I purchased it from Tweeter after about a month of debating over "what I am really going to gain from it". I am very pleased with it's performance. Personally, it was the best thing I could've done to improve SQ in my car for the money. However, the only drawback I've seen so far are the fact that the owners manual is a small novel, and that they seem to have had some reliability issues as of late. In the past month Tweeter has had 3 returns because of faults including mine. My HU refuses to read cd's. It's been over 5 weeks now and still no HU. I'm not so sure it's Eclipse's fault though. Tweeter decided to drop the Eclipse and maybe that might be affecting the way Eclipse sends it's replacement parts to them... I don't know. So... I start looking for another HU. I find the 9835. Nice unit, very nice. About $130 more than the Eclipse... Here's what I've had a chance to find out about both...

Alpine - Nice looking unit with a very nice display. Cool graphics(not really important to me), Ability to read all formats, 5 band adjustable EQ, changing display colors(hell, if you want pink you can dial it in!), 4v pre-out - important in the fact that Alpine is the 1st company that I know of that is using the 2006 CES standards for measuring(kinda like max power vs. rms) so perhaps it won't suffer from the "Alpine" low bass volume, so on and so forth.

Eclipse - Not as flashy looking but it gets the job done, 1st display that I can actually see when the sun is on it!, probably just as many functions as the alpine in terms of sq adjusability, Parametric EQ - here's the kicker, not only is it a adjustable 5 band but it's also adjustable for low, mid and high.... so essentially a 15 band EQ, 8v pre-outs - note... It's 8v at max. My HU started distorting at volume level 74 of 80. And the measured pre-out voltage was clean only up to about 5v., 55ohm output.

My thought's - I like the Alpine but a couple features steered me toward the Eclipse. It does have a slight output voltage advantage over the Alpine.. so to fend off any unwanted interference that extra bit helps. The Parametric EQ was 3x more adjustable than the Alpine's. But the real deal maker was the fact that it has a 55ohm output. What that means is that the signal coming from the HU to the Amp is "virtually" un-impeeded. No other HU out there that I know of can come close to that.

If you want to spend alot more money you'll be looking at copper chassis, no internal amp, and possibly fiber optic. But IMHO the Eclipse is the best "analog" HU out there.

Hope this helps...

Jack

Eclipse 8443

Boston Z6

JL 450/4

Alpine Type-X 12's x 2

Alphasonik PMA1200D

Pick the cheapest. Take the extra money and spend it on external processing that will put the deck's processing to shame //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Probably the smartest comment I've seen in this entire thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

dumb^^^^^^ eclipse is better periodeclipse will always have better quality sound.....Sound Quality is Sound Quality is Sound Quality....it doesnt matter what ears hear it, if it sounds better on the speakers the guy loves.............a guy that loves silks will pick the eclipse over alpine....a guy that likes metals will pick the eclipse over the alpine. thats how i see it.

These ARE your opinions right??? I sure hope you're not trying to pass these BOLD statements off as facts are you?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Ok JLCivic.......I know that the 9835 isn't Alpine's flagship (that being the CDA-7990) but is the 8454 Eclipse's flagship or not??

Ok JLCivic.......I know that the 9835 isn't Alpine's flagship (that being the CDA-7990) but is the 8454 Eclipse's flagship or not??
Well, last year's CD8053(still listed as an 04 model...I think they just had some 8053s left over so they put them in the 04 price list) would be their flagship deck. I don't know how many, if any, of them are still available though.

The 8454 is a little more expensive(plays mp3, has eiserv, etc). The 8053 has no internal power and has the option for balanced lines. I just sold my 8053(fantastic deck) when I bought the RF8250.

The 9835 is about as high as Alpine goes though unless you are gonna pay thousands for the F1 status.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.