Alpine CDA-9815 or Eclipse CD8443?

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. High amounts of high frequency distortion can

definitely damage any speaker, ours included.

Regards, Ken, Polk

this is a quote from polk tech department ass hats!!

you know nothing of car audio!

I aws replying to the idiot wolfey and is stupid comment of the harmonic distortion stuff. His stereo should be taken away before he hurts it! I am shure most people understand the I dea of harmonic distortion just not him.

Head unit amplifiers blow...they create lots of distortion at around 75% full volume...

THD on amps is overrated IMO...people make a big deal about a .2% difference, when it isn't audible...

Thanks for getting mr. polk to clear things up tough guy, however i think it would help if he explained just how much distortion, and then ask him what usually causes it.. The distortion that is brought about in amplifiers with an increase in output is caused by "CLIPPING" which i stated originally. Clipping causes a distorted wave form in which the top if the wave is clipped off resulting in a non sinusidal wav.. the abrupt change is not good for speakers, i agree.(and yes it is at the threshold of amplifier output)... A clipped wave is an example of harmonic distortion.. "the inability to maintain linearity, resulting in the addition of unwanted HARMONICs, called Harmonic Distortion (see PEAK CLIPPING), or other tones, called Intermodulation Distortion (see COMBINATION TONES)." from http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Distortion.html.

Clipping alone does not ruin speakers however, clipping at levels near the threshold of a speakers input power does.

There are lots of people out there that will tell you underpowering speakers is worse than overpowering speakers and its a flat out lie.. If clipping caused speakers to die then people would be replacing speakers every time they turned the volume up a little too high on all of there stereos.. and that just isnt the case..

Talk crap all you want but your the one ruining your speakers not me.. I havent heard anyone else complaining about harmonic distortion in there head units when they arent even using the head units amplifier.. all your head unit is gunna give is a signal to noise ratio if your not using its internal amp.. THD would be extremely minimal in the laser pickup or the preamp outs, i'm almost sure on that.. Maybe you should get rid of your crappy audiobahns, that could be the cause of your distortion

or maybe you should have HIFI boys do a complete install for you so you won't screw anything else up.

I was thinking of using the CDA 9815 to power my rear fill speakers....maybe I should just buy that 4 channel Tsunami from eD... or will this be enough to power a set of CL-6s?

the 9815 would power rearfill decently as long as they arent real power hungry speakers.. a 4 channel amp would probably be better though.. i'd try hooking the deck up first to see how you like it.

I dont know what your deal is wolfey, but you really know nothing of proper install. I have had JL W6s, solobaric 8s 4 of em, and alpine type Rs, and the Audiobahn I have kills all of them in just pure sound reprdouction. It is the best sub I have ever had. low mass and perfect transient response. the most musical sub that has ever ben in my car.

I was NOT blowing subs. I WAS blowing boston pro componets, some of the best sounding speakers on the market. I have had focals, and MB before but these are the most natural sounding of the lot.

How do you think a preout reaches 4 volts or 8 volts, it is driven by amplification system. usally with asymetrical capacitors that cause the clipping because they push and pull out of sync when the usable power in an amp is reached. see JLs website if you contest what I have said. I was blowing speakers with internal amps, thats why I got two excelons to drive my speakers. Alpines units have crappy powerstages thats why they are GOOD DEALS, comparable priced uints are seen as lacking in features because they are built from the groung up better that the alpines and have better internal.

you nedd to go and eat ome cheese and chill with your BAD sub in you lap and look at it high mass bulldoser cone that is about as dead sounding as a solobaric L7.

ROFLMAO.. You were running BA Pro series off of the head unit amplifier and you wonder why they blew?

BA Pro series components are power hungry. By the time you get the internal amplifier in the HU outputting enough power to get those BA's moving, the amp is well into clipping.

I run my Alpine CDA-9815, Alpine MRV-T420 and Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5x all day long witih no issues whatsoever. I also run Boston Acoustics 6.5x components (sans tweeter) in the rear off of an Alpine MRV-T320 and they rock as well.

I don't care what brand of speakers you run, running components off of the head unit is a bad idea.

Look geraldo, your almost as dumb as the talkshow host.. you come on here telling people alpine makes crappy products just cus your dumbas$ broke like 5 of them and had problems with every other audio product you've ever come in cantact with, doesnt mean that everyone makes crappy products except the eclipses (cus you havent jacked them up quite as much). And what the hell were you referring to by my crappy sub? In case you can't read its a brahma.. say what you want, but its a **** good sub by just about any standards.. i know its not the best there is but give me a break, Audiobahn?? They may be decently loud, and i won't say they are horrible, but they aren't sq subs by any means. They can be the prettiest **** things in the world but that wont change the fact that they are more for looks than anything. More money goes into the chrome than the design by far.

Originally posted by Geraldo1432  

you nedd to go and eat ome cheese and chill with your BAD sub in you lap and look at it high mass bulldoser cone that is about as dead sounding as a solobaric L7.
It's obvious you know nothing about car audio, since you follow the cliche that the L7 is a horrid sounding woofer- when it can sound wonderful in the right install...

Stop copy and pasting techincal terms off of JL's site...

I want to get either the CDA-9815 or the CD8443 deck as well. I want MP3 and some nice features to go along with a nice display. I am curious though, what are the differences between the top 3 2003 cd decks from Eclipse?

Oh, and as far as L7s go, they do sound great. It's all in the install. Some people are so ignorant and have really no idea what they are talking about. People like that tend to believe that ANY setup with 3 10s or 3 12s will have more SPL than 2 12s or even 1 12... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Anyway, lets keep it on the topic.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.