Alpine CDA-9811,13,15 users/question

sungwei
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
lkj
This may apply to other Alpine HUs as well. How many of you use the MX future? I find that it kind of takes away from the detail of the music particularly at the mid range. It makes it sound dull. I guess cause it boosts mids and highs. At first it sounds like it may sound good, but what I've found is I prefer to run the unit with it off and just turn up the volume a couple notches. Sounds bout the same but with more detail.

Also, the crossover. Does this only adjust where you want the speakers to cut off for bass? Or can you control the mid and high frequencies too? It seems you can go from 20-200hz and it just controls where you cut off bass frequencies. I can't seem to make it do much else. Is this correct?

As far as the MX feature is conserned i love it. It gives the bass a good boost and in my opinion increases the SQ by quite a lot. Ive had the HU for over a year now and I never have MX turned off now. I love it

MX ... used it once, then found out that a good EQ works much better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

- Steve

I just recently bought the CDA-9813 and have been messing with the x-over feature a bit. I am currently running my factory speakers until I can find a nice set of CDT's. I have the front and rear x-over set to 63 and 0db. If my understanding is right, this limits the speakers from receiving frequencies below 63Hz. I did not see a way to set a cutoff for the higher frequencies either.

As for the MX feature, I currently use it when playing MP3 CD's. Even though I rip all of my MP3's using VBR to perserve as much of the SQ as possible, I find that the MX feature helps. For me it seems to do more than simply turning the volume up a couple of notches with it off. Of course, this could all be related to my cheap factory speakers... :eek:

Whats good EQ settings for rap, with a lotta bass? Coudl you help me out here ive bene ****in with the EQ a lot and i can never get it right

Well what I've found is the MX feature actually is good for rap. Main reason being that rap/hip hop is mostly bass and highs. Mids really don't play a huge part. Sometimes MX is good for boosting low signal recordings.

I think that with factory speakers I probably would use MX too. I'm using MB Quart components right now and they're 6.5" so they can produce a decent amount of bass. I'm sure this has something to do with it as well.

So far though it seems I'm the only one who prefers MX OFF. Everyone I've talked to so far likes to keep it on. We're all born with different ears I guess.

I have the 9815, and when i have the volume up loud and turn MX on it gets really distorted and it sends way to much bass to my cdt cl-61 amped with 100 watts each. The MX feature is awesome at low volumes, but ***** at high volumes. Those are my experiences with the MX feature. I also have my eq set at -6 1 63.. I took all the bass out because i have no subs yet....

All the MX is is an adjustable loudness circuit. Boosts the highs and the lows. If you are running a full system with amps, you are better off without it. If you have just replaced your deck and are running factory speakers, then it makes them sound a decent bit better.

I found that the MX does distort. You have to turn the volume down a couple notches to turn it on. However, when I had my high pass filter in my Xtant amp I could use MX without distortion. Problem was the HPF was cutting out more bass than I liked. I've found that I prefer the Alpines crossover over the HPF. Though I might use it once I get my sub back from sounddomain.

My bass setting now is 0 2 50 and 0 2 63. Those seem to work best for me right now. When I get the sub I'm gonna set it to cut out more bass and let the sub do the grunt work. Right now I"m trying to overcompensate for not having a sub.

Still can't get those highs low enough. I think it's cause I got titanium tweeters and cause I mounted the tweeters so far from the mids they stand out a lot more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.