Alpine 9887 and iPad

Participant count
  • Participant list
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe89
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Will the 9887 support for an iPod also support iPad? I don't have an iPod, but I do have access to an older iPad for a good price. I would venture to say it is a 2nd generation but it could be a 1st generation iPad. I don't know if the cable connections are the same. Should I go talk to some apple store employees or has someone done this? I want it to be a wired connection, I have my doubts as to the blue tooth's quality for music...

Call alpine?
I did, they said no on account of different firmware, charging requirements, etc. I thought the DIY community may have a solution Alpine is unwilling to disclose on accounts of warranty, etc.

I have seen people fry their ipods, trying to use them on an eclipse deck for which it was not compatible, so it is probably not a good idea.

I have seen people fry their ipods, trying to use them on an eclipse deck for which it was not compatible, so it is probably not a good idea.
If I recall, Eclipse headunits have an unusually high line out voltage. Perhaps that is related to the fried iPods? Regardless, I will keep researching and see if there is a way to make the iPad and 9887 compatible...

If I recall, Eclipse headunits have an unusually high line out voltage. Perhaps that is related to the fried iPods? Regardless, I will keep researching and see if there is a way to make the iPad and 9887 compatible...
Don't think that was the problem, older model ipods were compatible with it.

i own both a first gen iPad and a 9887 with the iPod cable hook up. first off, it won't charge it. second, it won't control it. third, it won't recognize it.

i connect my iPad to my 9887 through the AUX input (KCA-121B Ai-Net Aux Input Cable)with this cable:

35mm-car-aux-auxiliary-audio-usb-cable-cord-for-iphone-4-4s-ipod-touch-4-4th-gen.jpg

I charge/power the iPad with a 2.1A USB cigarette lighter adapter (that i modified and stashed in my center console) and feed the 9887 audio separately. it works great.

Would you say the aux connection provides the same audio quality (as discernable by ear) as an ipod connection or retail cd? That is all that I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...