alpine 9855... kinda strange

thefunkybunch
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
cloud9
i noticed in my 9855 (and several others i installed) that the volume would rise consistantly to about a volume level of 25, and then would plateau. from 25-35 wouldn't do ANYTHING different. kinda strange. tried running power to battery, no difference at all. tried changing gain settings on the amp (lower and higher) and no change at all. i wonder if alpine did like a protection circuit (like GM radios) that once they reach a certain volume level, the volume won't increase. but with GM radios the bass is attenuated above that volume level to save the speakers. i called alpine, they were no help at all. anyone else have an issue with that or even notice it? i'm convinced that it's just the radio because i've noticed it in several different units (all running external amplifiers). or maybe we just got a bad batch of units or something... i'm stumped. if it weren't for that, i'd be perfectly content with the deck, but it's obnoxious. i know the speakers have MUCH more to offer than what they'll do currently, i definitely don't run crappy equipment. just that much incentive to switch to the 9255 i guess:eyebrow:

Do all of yall have amps for your mids and tweeters???
Oh yea. I gots amps:up2somet: Although increasing the volume past 25 on my HU becomes somewhat of a painfull experience, I did want to throw in my 2 cents regarding the volume change (or lack there of) from 25 to 30.

Mabe it is trying to tell me something //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

but why would it max out the pre-out voltage at 70% volume? most decks will start clipping at about 90% volume, and the old alpines never had any issues like this. even last years alpines didn't have this issue. i am running external amplifiers (hence how i played with the gains to see if it changed anything) running 3way mode with 2 amps on the components, and one amp on the subs. i never use the MX because it's really just a distortion button. it sounds fantastic without it on, if it's turned on it sounds fine at low volumes, but over about 20 the highs lose all of their crispness and the subs get muddy as hell. with it off, it's fine. even at full volume, there is no noticeable distortion, but also no real noticeable volume gains between 25 and 35. i have also noticed that going from 34 to 35 does make a gain, however i never really turn it up that loud.

at least i'm not the only one, so i guess i'm not all that crazy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

for the volume problem...u would need to turn off the MX function...

without the MX the volume level will increase...tested with couple of speakers, amps, to see if it was the amp or speaker problem. Its the HU.

Found the same issue with mine so can I max out my gain cuz only getting 70% from my head unit or is that a bad idea.

I remember hearing that someone tested the preouts on an Alpine unit a while back (about 2 years actually) and the preouts started to clip at 26. That would equate to no increase in volume, only in distortion past that point. I would suggest setting your gain based on that volume setting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.