Alpine 1542D or 12D4 for SQ?

Jordan515

I currently have a 1542D and sounds great but It just doesn't have that quick response that I'm really looking for. I have the chance to trade the 1542D for the 12D4 and was wondering if the 12D4 will still work with my Kicker zx750.1 It's still a dual 4 ohm so would I still be wiring it in a parallel to form a 2 ohm load? My only real concern is the specs on the 12D4 say rms of 300-1000 and I've never seen any item that wasn't an exact RMS. Sorry for the ******* questions and for creating a Sub X vs Sub X thread....

Last edited by a moderator:
The ported box is 3.2 cu ft. tuned to 32 hz and the 1542D is reccomended at 1.5-3.0 cu ft.

The 12D4 box would be sealed at 1.25 cu ft. and the reccomended air space is .25-1.0 cu ft. I can always fill in the sealed box to shrink the volume though.

Change your enclosure not your sub. The 15 can sound just as good as the 12 while having more potential output. This is assuming that you have the room for a proper enclosure for the 15.

Change your enclosure not your sub. The 15 can sound just as good as the 12 while having more potential output. This is assuming that you have the room for a proper enclosure for the 15.
So you think you think that a 15 in a sealed box can sound better than a 12 in a sealed? (Assuming they're both the appropriate size)

So you think you think that a 15 in a sealed box can sound better than a 12 in a sealed? (Assuming they're both the appropriate size)
Yes the 15 can sound just as good, but the type r is more suited for a ported enclosure.

Ok so what I gathered is that Ported can be just as good as sealed for SQ if it's a well designed box. I'm sure it's impossible to tell from just a pic but is this box "well designed"?

As I said earlier it's 3.2 cu ft. 32hz

314TgUbg%2BQL.jpg

Just from the pic I would say definitely not. It looks like a prefab with too little port area. It probably isn't even .75 mdf.
I figured... Thanks for the advice. Is there a section here where I can find people in my area that make boxes? Since I've dropped all this money already I might as well do it right.

Thats a prefab that will offer way less than optimal results on a 15" sub like the Type R.

Get a custom box built. The 15 can be just as tight as the 12. Neither will be noticeably tighter than the other; however, the 15 has the potential to be louder if you have enough air space for it.

Check the vendor section for box builders

Thats a prefab that will offer way less than optimal results on a 15" sub like the Type R.
Get a custom box built. The 15 can be just as tight as the 12. Neither will be noticeably tighter than the other; however, the 15 has the potential to be louder if you have enough air space for it.

Check the vendor section for box builders
And to sum up everything I've said this^^`

Sorry guys I'm having a hell of a time trying to find anything in the vendor section. Anyway you could direct me to somebody in Iowa? Preferably Des Moines but not a big deal if not.

The ported box is 3.2 cu ft. tuned to 32 hz and the 1542D is reccomended at 1.5-3.0 cu ft.
The 12D4 box would be sealed at 1.25 cu ft. and the reccomended air space is .25-1.0 cu ft. I can always fill in the sealed box to shrink the volume though.
This seems like a fine box volume. You'll get about perfect box qtc. If sealed box volume is larger then you will actually get slightly better transient response at the expense of slightly less power handling.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.