alpine 10" Type S D2 odd ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Octan3

Hi guys I'm new here. And I'm relatively new to the whole sound world lol. So I'm not sure whether many of you might even feel alpines are good subs? but it does pound pretty **** good... Ive got a MBquart Onyx 4.125 4 channel amp which claims itll feed 500W rms @4 ohms to the sub. Subs rated at 500W rms. so it should be perfect right?

The story. I've had the sub for a while and one night a little get together I decide to play around a bit left stereo going and blasting at my usual loud setting where It sounds like its putting out the most bass with out a drop or any noticeable distortion. then the sub quit.

Take it home to find a tensil lead... melted? broke off?... So I swapped it out with another Type S I had sitting around (lucky me). Now I got thinking well crap I can solder lets fix this other one up!. I take apart the sub and fix the wire. i solder it all back together check the job 0 ohms from point to point. good 2 go.

But now when i measure Each voice coil the one I'm seeing like 48 OHMS and the other is like 4 ohms. its a Dual 2. So I'm not sure what to think. the guy downtown that runs a custom audio place told me. sub feels well used by pushing down on it. otherwise there does not appear to be anything wrong with it. IT DOES POP! when you do the battery test. but the odd part is yes the ohms. He told me to run it off 1 voice coil and that using 1 voice coil instead of both has no difference in bass output aside from the D2 giving more wiring capabilities?

So Voice coil 1 read 48 ohms. other one is 4. what do you guys figure? I did have it apart and i did not visually see anything looking burnt or melted. just the 1 wire looked like it just fatiqued and broke off. Will this sub potentially work fine anyways or????? Thanks!

IMG_20131231_122640.jpg

IMG_20131231_125414.jpg

Ok thanks. I got looking at it more and it appears the one coil is reading exactly 2.3 ohms. But yeah the other guy well... way the heck up there. BUT i took a 9v battery and got playing with them a bit and making them pop. and now testing them shows 2.1 and 2.3 OHMS no longer 53 ohms.. odd??? I think its a bad tensil lead.

So will running it off 1 voice coil will not put out the same bass or effectiveness as it would running both voice coils on it? The guy downtown told me there would be no difference at all if i was running both voice coils or just the 1. But I got wondering I figured 2 voice coils would be in my mind double the power or pulling power for the cone vs magnet????. Thanks again! sorry for the nooby questions :p google has not helped me much lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.