All BS aside which way to go??

disturbed471985
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ok so I got 2 of my sa-8's hooked up on a rf bd1000 (on loan) each sub has .8cf per sub after all displacement and I am just not happy the OG plan was to run 4 but based on the output I am getting from the 2 I think I want to just trash the whole idea and start over. So here are my options and what I am looking for is the most output not to worried about sq at this time my front stage takes care of that for me. Amp will stay the same no matter which setup I go with and I have 2k@1ohm on tap and tuning will stay the same also 32hz.

Option 1 - 4 sa-8's each will have about .7cf after all displacement. Will have to use external aero ports.

Option 2 - 2 sa-12's each sub will have about 1.5cf after all displacement. Will have to use external aero ports.

Option 3 - 1 Nightshade 15" sub will have about 3.3cf after all displacement. Will have to use external aero ports.

I may or may not be going with sundown I am just using their subs as an example. So I am not asking if there are better subs out there what I am asking is based just on the size of the drivers which would give me the most output. Setup will be going in the trunk of a Saturn ion and will be used only for a daily system.

I can tell you from my own personal experience with the SA-8s, that when I was running 2 I was not too impressed either. Went up to 3 and it was day and night in my car and each had about .7net tuned to 30hz. I wish I would have went ahead and run 4 just to see if it made an even bigger difference. So dont give up on it just yet.

all that said, though, I still see the 2 12s setup correctly hitting a little harder due to the cone area.

the sa line (and a lot of sundown stuff) is built for small enclosures. that said. sa-8s generally dont like being tuned under 34, they start to loose output in the 60hz range very quickly (which for most daily setups could be an issue)

what exactly are the box specs of what your running now. port area included.

of your 3 options, I say go with the 3rd one. just from my experience with cars similar to yours, I've ran 3 10" in 1 ft^3 for each ported with great results consider this? also I'd consider option 1 as I've put together a system for a friend in an '04 Sentra with 4 8s and was pretty amazing.

I did think of 3 10's but I really would like too keep sub budget at around $500 and 3 10's would push that limit. I am leaning towards option 2 or 3. The sa's would not go to waste as I can use one in my truck for alil something and sell the other. Just trying to get it right this time and get something that will keep me happy for a period of time.

No I am not picking a brand yet I am just trying to figure out what size drivers would give me the most output given the power and box requirments I have listed above.

tc sounds sub?! lms r or something? my favorite sub ive ever owned was the sw8000, such a great amount of output and sounded great from 25-500

If the sub model and power are going to be the same, you would likely see the most output out of 2 12s as this would be the most cone area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

disturbed471985

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
disturbed471985
Greenwood, La
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date