All about strapping, I have no idea.

JeffyZ33
10+ year member

not******
In A Tree
So I have no idea about strapping, at all. Never had strappable amps before so I dont have the first clue about what's going on.

The amps: 2 Orion 1200ds. I was told not to use the master/copy, and just use master/master and Y the rca's before the amps. The guy is very reliable so I'm not going to question him.

So, strapping, I don't know? Can somebody give me an example?

Somehow I had the idea that you could strap 2 amps to the same ohm load only 1 would be running at, but this is not correct. For example, 1 amp running at a 1 ohm load to 2 dual 4s, I thought ''strapping'' would have both amps running at 1 ohm with double the power output..

from my knowledge strapping 2 amps has you set one as master and the other as slave or copy or whatever. Then whatever you set the gain to or crossovers or anything on the master it will automatically set the exact same on the slave, so they both runnin at the same gains and you dont have problems.

from my knowledge strapping 2 amps has you set one as master and the other as slave or copy or whatever. Then whatever you set the gain to or crossovers or anything on the master it will automatically set the exact same on the slave, so they both runnin at the same gains and you dont have problems.
Doesn't matter, not all amps are strapped the same way. It IS absolutely IMPERATIVE that the amps are level match though....no matter what.

NG

most stable way to hook them up is splitting the rca's with a Y or some kind of distrobution box. one set to each amp. set both to master. You will have to level match each amp though. Connect a wire from speaker neg on one ame to speaker neg on the other amp. Put the pos from your speaker lead into one amp pos(usually master amp) and neg speaker lead to pos of second amp. They are now strapped, make sure to level match at lo volumes or keep the gains all the way down with all filters of if you cant level match. You will have to set the filters on each amp the same.

When You strapped a pair of amps to say a one ohm load each amp see half that so each amp would see .5 ohm. so strapped at 2 ohms each amp would see 1ohm, and so on.

strapping 2 amps is JUST like stereo/mono...

if you strap 2 amps to a 1 ohm load, each amp will see .5ohm...

i dont understand why you would even use y-splitters and gain match and call it strapped?? strapping amps is good for 2 reasons imo..

1. being able to show the amps a lower load then you would normally be able to.

2. NOT having to gain match

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JeffyZ33

10+ year member
not******
JeffyZ33
In A Tree
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date