Alarm

Participant count
  • Participant list

argenis69
10+ year member

SQ Bass Lover
NY, USA
Hi Guys,

I currently have a Prestige APS997A Alarm installed, and I was looking to upgrade to a better and newer technology alarm with a way better range and at a decent price(less than $200), also I prefer an alarm that I can just swap the wires and not have to go to a shop to install it.

-Which Alarm do you recommend?

Thank You.

Have you googled your alarm model to check what is available? If you don't want to change your wires, the simplest thing would be to go with a newer model of what you have.

If I were to recommend anything, it would be something in the Directed line like Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, etc. I currently have the Python 5906 installed as I wanted remote start with long range and two way communications to let me know it started the car. Plus, if I want to later, i can add the iPhone integration. It cost more than $200 though.

Have you googled your alarm model to check what is available? If you don't want to change your wires, the simplest thing would be to go with a newer model of what you have.
If I were to recommend anything, it would be something in the Directed line like Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, etc. I currently have the Python 5906 installed as I wanted remote start with long range and two way communications to let me know it started the car. Plus, if I want to later, i can add the iPhone integration. It cost more than $200 though.
Being that I have delt with viper for a couple years I am in disagreement about going with DEI, I would highly recommend Omege or Idatalink and computsar. Much better quality from what I have seen so far and read.

Being that I have delt with viper for a couple years I am in disagreement about going with DEI, I would highly recommend Omege or Idatalink and computsar. Much better quality from what I have seen so far and read.
I just looked at the ones you mentioned and so far I'm not any more impressed than what I have with the Python I just had installed. You say you've dealt with Viper for a couple years. Can you please say what your negative experiences have been? The DEI group has all the names I've been familiar with since car alarms first came out. Plus the shops that carry them are all over the place so if I needed to get service, it wouldn't be a problem.

You guys recommend any specific Alarm model?
As mentioned earlier, I have the Python 5906. What I like about it is the features are real easy to find on the remote. I like that it works at a great distance and lets me know it received the command (2-way). I can set it to automatically start if the inside of the truck gets hotter or colder than temperature ranges I can set from the remote. I can set it up to start after a particular time passes (timer mode) and repeat it so many times. I can ask it to provide me with the current temperature inside the vehicle so I can decide if I want to start it before I get in. When I remote start the truck, it's timer is set for 12 minutes. When it gets close to the end, it let's me know so I can extend the time if I want to. When I go to a convenience store, I can turn the motor over to the remote control unit and remove the key so I don't have to leave it in. The remote has an OLED color screen and it has animations that let you easily see what is going on with the vehicle. I like that the system will "page" the remote to advise of something going on with the truck when I can't see it. It's a piece of mind thing for me. If I want, later on I can add the remote phone module that has a GPS option so I can see what's going on when I'm out of town, or it's out of range (over a clear mile away), and can see where it is if I'm not the one driving it.

What do I not like about it? The remote's firmware can be updated. But only by an authorized dealer. Is that a good thing? In the world of security, maybe it is. But I wish I could update it myself. I also wish I could manipulate the settings of the in-car unit myself too because there are some settings that can't be adjusted by the remote.

Not sure what bigaudiofanatic's issue is with DEI products, but maybe he knows something I don't - I'm not an expert. But I do know and understand technology. So far, I'm impressed overall with the product. Maybe the 5906 being their top model is the thing and the cheaper units lack something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.