Air Space for Kicker CVR 10" in a sealed box?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I've read this before and it says .8 to 3.0 cubic feet of air space. I thought that was too big of a range and was wondering if there was a good average to get the best sq and loudness.

I've read this before and it says .8 to 3.0 cubic feet of air space. I thought that was too big of a range and was wondering if there was a good average to get the best sq and loudness.
Simple answer , however big the nearest dumpster is. I had the 12's brand new , and i tried 2 different sealed designs , and 2 different ported designs. The 4.5 cubes @ 35 hz was a very loud and effiecient design but now matter what design i used they always sounded like ****. If you are looking for ANY sq , you have the wrong driver.

Look into Boston Acoustics G1's if you want to stick to a mainstream company. They have excellent sq and will get pretty loud for entry level gear. My amp is rated for 534w rms at 4 ohms and I ran that to a single G1 12 and it took it with no problem. After imp rise it was getting at least 400wrms which is double what its rated for. All of Boston Acoustics's gear is very under rated and over looked.

On a semi related note I had a cvx 10 in 2.8 sealed and it crushed the low notes but crapped out pretty badly on the high notes, but hey who likes high notes. I also ran it in 1.2 sealed and was pretty disappointed. I have heard Kicker's entire lineup except their pre 2005 stuff and the solo x and L5/L3 and the only one I would recommend is the Solo Classic. Its meant for small sealed boxes. I would only get it used because they jacked the price up on the new ones by about $80 and its not worth it anymore. I paid 170 for a 12 d2 new one right when they came out in spring 09 and put it in 1 cube sealed with a heavy layer of fiberglass resin inside and it sounded very good. I blew it up in less than a year, I was running it on a 750wrms amp and didnt know much about clipping so I'm gonna guess I was clipping it heavily at times lol. Anyhow - my point is if you dont clip it and don't exceed the rated power by much, it will do fine.

It has to with magnet strength and excursion and how efficient the speaker can make use of the power it is given and a bunch of other variables. Power handling means nothing, its just to trick/confuse noobs. The cvrs will probably get louder overall than the g1 series but any Boston Acoustics product will blow any Kicker product out of the water when it comes to sound quality. Kicker subs in general sound like a wet fart. I beat the crap out of the Boston stuff that I have owned and I had 0 issues, I can't say that about Kicker. Their coils and materials are cheap and they fail very quickly when you give them more than rated power.

Well i never intended of going over the RMS because i didn't want my stuff to crap out on me. i have 4 speakers powered by 2 amps and 4 tweeters, would the kickers help with just the bass notes? or would the BA subs still be a better fit?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.