Aeroporting, why or why not?

The reason I chose to use DIY aeroportishness (flared PVC) is chiefly due to weight - an aeroported box is lighter than a slot-ported box of the same volume and tuning freq. because the slotted one will have at least one or two more pieces of MDF/birch, which is certainly heavier than plastic tubing. I wanted to keep my car reasonably quick and infringe on gas mileage as little as possible so I did everything as lightly as possible - already adding 100+ lbs with sub, box, amps, etc...

And the sub (DCON 10") sounds beastly in that box. I was completely blown away and still am.

I have seen alot of competing cars on youtube using aeroports. What are the pros or cons of using them instead of regular porting?
Depends on what you are calling 'regular porting', and what you are calling an 'aeroport'. Since a lot of people mistakenly call a simple PVC port that's been a flared an 'aeroport', your question can be answered many different ways.

If you are referring to round ports versus slot ports, round ports require less port area to achieve inaudible port noise. Less port area means less required port length for a given tuning frequency. Less port area and a shorter port mean a smaller over all box. This is the main advantage over slot ports.

pros: efficient. smaller, takes up less space.
cons: have to be long at times for desired tuning, bending can be cumbersome
To add to this, slot ports tend to make a natural bracing mechanism as well. But the main difference is, like you and I both said, space considerations.

they are easier to change the tuning of the box, just put in a longer/shorter length of tube. This is important to competitors who do a lot of testing and tuning on their systems to get the loudest possible.

I'd only use aeros when you can't use a slot port, or for cosmetic reasons.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Or maybe SQ reasons. A small aero can sound good while not having port noise.

Alright thanks guys. I get ****** mpg as it is without my box, but I would like to aeroport my box due to not having much trunk space, and I have a kid on the way so I don't want to take out my rear seats. If you guys dont mind could you help me get an idea on how to tune the box?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

GrindFrog

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
GrindFrog
Pryor, Oklahoma, United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date