Advantages to a 3" voice coil on a mid woofer?

Morel, Dynaudio, Hi-Vi, and several other companies use larger coils on midgrange speakers. It certainly helps thermal power handling as I have really slammed on some Morel speakers without issue. It also supposidly helps put more uniform pressure on the cone, which it would, but whether that is audible I'm not sure. I do know that all the speakers I have heard with 3" coils sound excellent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Power, Power, Power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The more power the better!! Well...if you use it properly. As for the 1000 watts.....is that stereo rms power at 2 ohms (or basically bridged @ 4 ohms for 1000 watts)? If so he is actually getting about 500 watts.

my dad has close to 1000 watts on his mids and highs, and they have 3 inch coils i think, so, more power handling?
I do not like any 3inch vc on any midrange...tends to slow down and sound tubby..they tend to have a hard time articulating...but they make for great midbass drivers like the dyns or morels....

I got 2 zapco C2k 4.0's bridged per driver 480+ watts per speaker...so looking at 1920ish...but of course that's not what's being applied constantly....but power=control

In speakers designing with them... Increses power handling, dealing with compression and helps keep the movement of the cone linear and assist in keeping a wider area of the cone stiffer through its movement. I agree with HH, it tends to have its shortcommings in the upper midrange detail department on a wide band speaker.

The Blaupunkt Velocity's have 3" voice coils, has anyone tested/installed these?
Not yet, but hopefully a friend of mine will find the time and money to get his Vc660's installed soon, as I want to audition them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.