Adding a DSP? Worth it? Pros/Cons?

Looking to add a DSP to my system.

Either a 360.3 or one of AudioControls products.

I want to know before I go out and try and find one if its worth it?

Pros/Cons?

The overall goal is to blend the system and have more overall control over on the crossover points compared to just using the HU and amp(s).

Lol figured that would get your attention ! I was on vacation in Charleston SC just got back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Reworking the truck too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm not doing any SQThe front stage is a 2way and will stay that way.

It just doesn't sound how I think it should.
I have a 2 way system running DSP amp with time alignment. SQ or not, i spent much of my time on the road driving where i can enjoy good music with a nice center stage/ vocal.

If budget is not an issue then worth to consider.

The problem is if using factory locations (rather than say kick panels or apillars) it might be needed. The best way is to temp place tweeters in different locations and see where it sounds the best. If using stock locations again try it and see. Our ears can deceive our eyes!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

regardless of driver location or crossover separation, an automobile is not what one would consider an ideal listening area,... it's rather chaotic. dsp's are for example, great for leased cars you dont want to modify as separate left/right time alignment and eq can do real magic with stock locations.

however, if it doesnt sound right to you, you may just want to do some acoustic treatments to start. read through this build log posted by possibly the most knowledgeable member ive ran across here and soak up some really good pointers. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html

I'm not doing any SQThe front stage is a 2way and will stay that way.

It just doesn't sound how I think it should.
what drivers are you using and whats your crossover points and slopes? How are mids and tweets mounted? Picture of your EQ curve. If you cant achieve what you need to achieve with the 80 prs, you'll have an even worse time with a DSP.

regardless of driver location or crossover separation, an automobile is not what one would consider an ideal listening area,... it's rather chaotic. dsp's are for example, great for leased cars you dont want to modify as separate left/right time alignment and eq can do real magic with stock locations.
however, if it doesnt sound right to you, you may just want to do some acoustic treatments to start. read through this build log posted by possibly the most knowledgeable member ive ran across here and soak up some really good pointers. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
Yes but in the end it's all about how it sounds to you! Again the ears always deceive the eyes. I could have you listen to my vehicle lie and tell them there's a DSP. You would either leave the car saying that was awesome or he doesn't know how to use a DSP. Proper locations first then use a DSP last if needed.

It's not magic pixie dust. You need to plan your install. What if the software fails and you lose the crossover settings you just made?

Yes but in the end it's all about how it sounds to you! Again the ears always deceive the eyes. I could have you listen to my vehicle lie and tell them there's a DSP. You would either leave the car saying that was awesome or he doesn't know how to use a DSP. Proper locations first then use a DSP last if needed.
It's not magic pixie dust. You need to plan your install. What if the software fails and you lose the crossover settings you just made?

Your right if your happy with your sound then it's all good. Some people can't, or just don't, appreciate a good sound stage. Or they listen to recordings that don't add much to the enjoyment of the sound stage. To them a DSP is a waste.

For me the sound stage and tonality is the most important factor so a dsp is critical. Speaker locations can't even get close to what like, it's just is impossible without left and right EQ and time alignment and most important the skill to tune properly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.