adding a 4th sub, do chamber specs need to match other 3 to sound good?

I checked out eBay Australia and **** shits expensive over there. To get an xfl 15 in the states will cost ya 220 but 350 in Australia.
On my youtube channel I also have a video of a single 15 xfl I did in a Bonneville trunk. The truck is louder but not by much. So I'm sure it would be pretty nasty in your hatchback.

The xfl is rated at 1000 wrms so your amp would be totally fine for it. They can take 2k easily but 1k will still do you well. How much would it set ya back for 2 sundown sa-12's? For your power and plenty of space for 2 12's the sa's should get ya louder than the 1 15 xfl.
2 sa-12's including postage is between $750 to $1000, the australian dollar is also currently worth more than the american which confuses me a bit. And yeah audio stuff costs a lot over here so it's a pain in the *** to have a nice system, I'm also currently a student which doesn't help either. My options are really limited here so it's hard to find good cheap gear, it's why i bought all my subs second hand.

Honestly with the price of stuff over there I'd try to make the best with what ya got. Which I think would either be the way it is or trying 2 of them in a killer box.

Are there any Australian brands that would be cheaper because they are made there?

Honestly with the price of stuff over there I'd try to make the best with what ya got. Which I think would either be the way it is or trying 2 of them in a killer box.
Are there any Australian brands that would be cheaper because they are made there?
nope, all the decent brands are from the US, the only brand made nearby that I'm aware of is Fusion... it's made in New Zealand, but they're ******* horrible.

how about when I make the box for my next sub if i end up getting a fourth I make it the same internal volume and tuning but give it a much larger port area? Would that change the box rise though and make it unable to use together with the others on the same amp?

You want all the subs playing in the most identical conditions you can. Having it in a different location will most likely bring cancellation. Phase issue. Different sized ports or boxes and it just gonna be a nightmare. It may be louder in a few certain frequencies but a mess on most others. Its just not the way to do it, and for good reason.

How attached are you to that back seat? You could do all four firing up and port back with the 4 and it should be pretty nasty. But gotta give up space.

You want all the subs playing in the most identical conditions you can. Having it in a different location will most likely bring cancellation. Phase issue. Different sized ports or boxes and it just gonna be a nightmare. It may be louder in a few certain frequencies but a mess on most others. Its just not the way to do it, and for good reason.
How attached are you to that back seat? You could do all four firing up and port back with the 4 and it should be pretty nasty. But gotta give up space.
alright then I'll just stick to 3... and you have no idea how much I'd like to get rid of the back seats, but unfortunately I'm not the only one who drives the car so I've done enough damage stealing all the boot space already lol

also I think I should add here, I just modelled the air speed i'd get if I put 3 alpine type r's in my box and it peaks at 70m/s lol, while mine peak at 23m/s which is under the tuning frequency so it'll never get that high anyway, so I think how much port area a sub needs is sub dependant, so it's different for each setup.

I think it has a lot to do with these subs being designed for use in a sealed box... but they sound much better ported.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really wanted you could run the 4 sealed and give them the whole 1500. I don't know the specs of those subs but if they are better suited for sealed you may like the results of all 4 sealed with the added power.

If you really wanted you could run the 4 sealed and give them the whole 1500. I don't know the specs of those subs but if they are better suited for sealed you may like the results of all 4 sealed with the added power.
when i originally had 1 of these in a sealed box, before i went ported I was convinced it was the best the sub would sound, but then I built a 2.25cf box tuned to 25hz due to the recommendations on this forum and it blew me away how much better it sounded. So I have heard these sealed vs ported before. I guess I could try blocking the ports and testing out what they sound like sealed in this configuration, but as it is right now I'm either going to stay with what I've got and run it at 1200wrms or keep searching the net to see where I can get one of those XFL 15"s because everything I read about them says they're phenominal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.