Acura RDX

Icecube91

Senior VIP Member
I have the 2020 Acura RDX A Spec model with the 3d ELS system. I'm looking to add a subwoofer but not add volume but more depth and can play all bass notes. I have 3 options let me know what you think.

1. https://www.kicker.com/hideaway-hs10. hide this in the trunk in the storage area.

2.https://www.kicker.com/comp-rt-8-2-ohm-subwoofer with the kicker key 500.1 running at 300rms 8n the factory stock subwoofer location.

3. JL audio w7 or b2 audio rage v2 model on 500rms in a custom ported enclosure in the trunk against the rear seat.

let me know what you think
I like JL Audio gear, especially the W7 subs. If your goal is just to add depth to the OEM, then the W7 is a bit overkill. Even the 8" is cumbersome plus the box and amp will add to that. If you are not a bass afficionado, then these items in the storage area will bug you (even though you have the room for it). The 8" kicker is an unknown variable since you do not know if it will get along with the box size it will go in. Best bet is the HS-10. It is an all in one balanced sub system that does not require specialty gear or wiring to connect it. Seeing YT reviews also shows that it is quite decent. On an SUV, just about any sub system sounds good, so I vote HS-10.

I like JL Audio gear, especially the W7 subs. If your goal is just to add depth to the OEM, then the W7 is a bit overkill. Even the 8" is cumbersome plus the box and amp will add to that. If you are not a bass afficionado, then these items in the storage area will bug you (even though you have the room for it). The 8" kicker is an unknown variable since you do not know if it will get along with the box size it will go in. Best bet is the HS-10. It is an all in one balanced sub system that does not require specialty gear or wiring to connect it. Seeing YT reviews also shows that it is quite decent. On an SUV, just about any sub system sounds good, so I vote HS-10.

So buying the kicker comprt and running 300rms in the factory subwoofer location will be overkill as well as adding a w7 on 500rms

You think the kicker hideaway will add depth to my factory system

You will get better sound and bass out of a ported box and subwoofer of course. All depends on how much you want to spend and if you can make a box or not. Design wise there is people on here that do it for a small fee and for something like that a standard ported box wouldn't be much. A 8" or a 10" would do nice in one of those and not take up much room. Lots of choices out for subwoofers besides JL. JL is nice but you overpay for what you get compared to others out there.

So buying the kicker comprt and running 300rms in the factory subwoofer location will be overkill as well
Not at all. A cheap sub in the right box will sound better than an expensive sub in the wrong box. Since the OEM's enclosure is an unknown, you may end up with gear you can not use effectively. Aside from that, you will need to invest in an external amplifier and maybe an digital line output converter.
You think the kicker hideaway will add depth to my factory system
From the YT videos I saw, it seems as if the hideaway sounds pretty good. It seems to play well into the 100 Hz range, which is where most full range speakers seem to start rolling off. Granted, I doubt it will have that low end extension which is standard of conventional subs, but it does seem to blend well with the front stage.
Personally I would do the W7. But if it is the 10W7 or bigger, it needs the HD or Slash series amp to play well with the 3 Ohms voice coil. I had a 1kw @ 1 Ohm amp on mine. IMO, It sounded weak.

Would I be better running the w7 on little bit less power like 250 to 300 watts rather than it's full 500 to get better sound quality
In your application, I would use it in a sealed box. An SUV naturally amplifies bass notes, so might as well enjoy the tighter control of a sealed box. W7s play great throughout their entire power range, so no need to hold back on it for SQ playback. That huge foam surround lets it play quite freely.

id get one of these...

heres the 12" IDMax and 12" W7, both in 1 cu.ft. off 1,000 watts

the yellows the W7

Last edited:
I have a 2018 RDX ELS system sound like crap, i replaced the front speakers with Steg SG650 and 2 8w3 Microsub sound ok.
After 2 months i add a JL VX1000.5 with JL12w6 sound very good.
2 years later i replaced the VX with Mosconi Pro 5/30 and Arc PS8 Pro the system sound so nice.
If you want good sound get a 5 channels amp with DSP like VX1000.5 or Helix P Six MK2.

I have a 2018 RDX ELS system sound like crap, i replaced the front speakers with Steg SG650 and 2 8w3 Microsub sound ok.
After 2 months i add a JL VX1000.5 with JL12w6 sound very good.
2 years later i replaced the VX with Mosconi Pro 5/30 and Arc PS8 Pro the system sound so nice.
If you want good sound get a 5 channels amp with DSP like VX1000.5 or Helix P Six MK2.

Yeh Im not looking to replace the whole system. The front stage in the RDX is a 4 way setup and is plenty loud and clear for me. The factory deck goes to 40 and I will usually listen around volume 8 to 12. I think Im gonna go with the 8W7 in a sealed box and If I dont like it I can make a ported one. One question I have since the 8w7 is a 3ohm drive. I will need a amp that does 250-500RMS @ 3ohm correct? Will the JL Audio XD600/1 or Slash 500/1v2 be good choice? Remember I am not going for loudness but more bass depth.

Would the XD600/1 work fine. It does 400 to 500rms @3ohms. That's what I need correct? The 500/1v2 is nice since it does 500rms at all ohms and between 12.5 to 14.4 volts

W7 are high quality sub you need high quality amp (clean power) Slash HD or VX if you want everything JL.
After running Mosconi amp i don't think i ever go back to JL, Mosconi Pro 1/10 with W7 is perfect you will love it.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...