About crossovers

To send only the frequencies that each specific driver in your setup is designed to properly reproduce to said drivers.

Ergo: Send only bass to your subs, only midbass to your midbass drivers, midrange frequencies to your mids, and only highs to your tweeters.

To limit the bandwidth of frequencies that the speaker is playing. This, in turn, allows the speaker to play at a higher output level with less risk of damage since you are removing most of the potentially damaging frequencies from the bandwidth it is playing. Likewise, the speaker will play with less distortion since you are limiting the bandwidth to mainly the frequencies the speaker was specifically designed to play, and removing those outside of it's intended range.

Both of these also result in better sound quality from the speaker.

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere in the forum stickies, but to simplify things a lot...

Crossovers are there to split a full-range signal to different drivers that are best suited for handling those bands. You wouldn't want a tweeter playing down to the midbass range, for example - it's simply not designed to handle that. Likewise, you wouldn't want a subwoofer to handle the job of a tweeter - it's just not designed to do that. Crossovers make sure each speaker is playing the frequencies it's designed for.

http://www.bcae1.com and http://www.the12volt.com are both places to go if you want to learn more...graphs are very helpful for this sort of thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Does it really improve the sound of your system
Not a question of will it improve your system, often it's a matter of making it work or not //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Your head unit might also have an onboard low pass filter, could be easier to set it that way...if you're going to be at the meet I posted, I'd be glad to help you tweak your setup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.